Just Moved to tripoli , Libya

Hello Guys,

I just moved to Tripoli from berlin, being a serial expat & an  active member of expat communities , would love to meet other expat who are still here or planning to move in here,

how are you sir

i am firoz khan from india. i had woked in tripoli as computer engineer.we came reason security. can you please let me know about life in libya as a foreigner?

i will be thankful

Hi are you in tripoli?

Sorry where are you staying in Tripoli?

Not yet, i came india two years ago. i am planning to come back libya. what do you think
about security condition in libya.

It's on need to be careful that's alk

Where are you staying in Tripoli

hey Please check you PM, i have ping you ,

@VonSumit Glad to see a foreigner in Tripoli!
I was there in June and planning to come again soon. How are you staying? Hotel? Flat? Right now there's lot of problem with electricity, even the diesel is scarce for the generators. Would love to know your side of experiences.

And definitely looking forward to meet you since even I'm a non Arabic speaker.

Do let me know more about you. Are you there for work or for business?

Best regards and stay safe.

@alynne229
Are you in Tripoli too?

Regards.

Yes just had 12 hour power cut

Hey Mate , I live in gargarish area next to UAE embassy in ex Canadian ambassador house , the accommodation is provided by my company and even with power cut , we do have enough fuel to burn for 24 hours , I Have met few other expat from Italy and Malta and Russia but they are here from long time and quite old as well , I don't know if you have job or work here but unless all set by your company , it's not adviceable to work here

Yes yes, the hotels have generators, and the diesel for common people  is also now black marketed.

I usually stay close to my friend's place in Souq El Jummah, near the airport. I've been many times to gergaresh area. Mostly this time I'll have some seminars to attend at the University in Janzour.

Gergaresh has nice restaurants we can meet up some day! Last time I tried Mat'am Beirut towards the end of the street there. BTW all my travel and work is related through my friend, who himself is an entrepreneur. He manages everything for me, like a brother.

What type of industry are you employed in?  And did you get a number yet? Was it easy?

It's very cold there I heard, I hope things change for better and I hope you contribute towards its betterment.

All the best!

If you are interested in ridding or horses we ride on Fridays you can join in

Hi,
I've been in Tripoli for 3 years now ...  It was ok first half of 2014, but things have got steadily worse since then.  I keep telling myself things will get better soon.
I'm an English teacher by the way.
Pete

Nice to see new replies. Libyan expats are coming out on here!

I think we can have a small Expat group on WhatsApp/Viber (just an idea) to be better connected with each other, and also will be more convenient to expand.

Where are you living! I'm in souk el  ghuna

Happy New year Sumit,

Cheers

Paul

@alynne229
I am outside Libya right now. Will be in Tripoli next month.

To others,

Does anyone know of any NGO or Volunteering organization which is still functional in Tripoli?

I'm in Gorgi

I live in souk el ghuma. But am in England at the moment be back soon

hey Mate

Hi my all of my husbands family are in Souk Al Gouma.  We have an apartment there which we use for holidays there. We are seriously thinking of relocating in the near future. But I guess visiting is different to living there permanently so may rent out our house in the UK until we decide for sure. Even though my husband is Libyan he speaks fluent English but I've found Arabic quite hard to learn. Would love to meet some expats to discuss their living in Libya. My next visit is in April.

Would love to meet up then. Leave a message in April and I will get in touch

Will do! That will be great. Have messaged you alynne

how far Souk Al Gouma from gergarish ?

Bout ten mins if not busy

I heard someone tell me that "Tripoli is like 1950's Berlin", he was speaking of the potential for economic growth and innovation. Would you agree with that, coming from Berlin?

The potential for improvement and growth I personally feel yes , innovation may be not , the country still need lot of work on basic infrastructure and safety

I arrived in Tripoli last week. City and administration feels better than from my last visit. Visited Misurata also, now back in Tripoli.

I agree with VonSumit, improvement, growth and business opportunities Yes, but innovation, research, and other fundamental things are afar. Markets are controlled by the militia.

BTW the war got bigger in Abu Saleem. Hoping and wishing my fellow expatriates a safe stay. I'm staying in Dahra this time. Near the Meydan.

Also I would like to ask, does anyone have a list of helpful numbers? Of people who can come in handy, are helpful? Can be from small things like a trusted taxi driver, to some agent who can help you get legal things done. Any useful personal you know, kindly share their details with me.

Thanks and best regards.

Please PM me for same , Thanks :)

Hi all, I've got an honest Libyan agent who speaks fluent English who deals with all my legal and personal dealings, inbox me your numbers and i'll get him to contact you.

I am also planning to go to libya this may month my mobile no is-***

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : For your own safety please avoid sharing your personal contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi. Ian Madhusudan Jadhav. I am planning to move in tripoli is it safe now to come there+

Depends on the company, region and your agreement/deal with them.
As per legality, from India you are not allowed to travel to Libya.

Hi is it safe there to work in Libya? How is expat s life there?

Thanks for sharing the link. The link says they have given permission only for state-owned government companies so far, not private companies.

But nevertheless, other things are same.

Madhusudan and Nagasarthy, are you both going for the same company? And both of you seem to be coming from the south, which city are you from?

I am from Bangalore.

Hi , I am from Mumbai

Where are you from,and when did you go to libya, i have been woked in libya for 2 years. now i am in india.

Hi I am from Mumbai, I am planning to go. Is Tripoli is safe for work?