Visa spouse or retirement?

I am 55 living in UK married  to Thailand lady 2 yes what is the best visa for me to liverify and work in Thailand spouse or retirement or?

I know what the retirement visa says. You are prohibited to work in Thailand with a retirement visa (I'm a US citizen). I do not know what any conditions are in reference to being married to a Thai national. Perhaps someone on this chat could be more helpful.

Retirement prohibits working in Thailand, but a yearly extension based on marriage allows it, but you have to get a work permit etc.

Speaking first hand the work permit can be a laborious process. Then again the Chiang Mai Provence seems to be stricter then other Provinces.
I started my process in early October. It took about 5 weeks to get the work permit. And I will finalize my visa on January 13th. Then again I don't have a Thai wife.
"It's a clear as mud but it covers the ground."

Thank you Bill and John,It took long enough to get my wifes visa for the uk  so I will start to make enquiries when in Thailand in June with a view to move next year, best start early. does anyone know who could help with setting up a small business Pattaya or suround     Regards Norrie

I had something of a conversation with someone who has lived here for many years. Presently he has an on line business and uses pay pal to eliminate a lot of complications. He has previously had business's in Thailand. What he did was set up a corporation and had "blind" Thai nationals as majority holders. A Thai lawyer has to set up all of this. In his case he had a retail business. At some point in time he was seen "doing work that a Thai could do". Ultimately the business was shut down. If you could get a sponsor or have skills that is specialize that would help.
Pattaya has it's own reputation. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a lawyer who could set up a corporation for you. The question is, can you trust the lawyer. In Chiang Mai many people use the internet to conduct business even though officially they need a work permit to do so.
Even so there are many loop holes. The fact that you have an idea to research the issue gives you time. I attended a Thai immigration workshop in October they realize that one problem in their immigration law is that they have this foreigner 50 plus population with many skills and much knowledge to share and give. They indicated that they want to find some way to bridge that gap. There are many changes going on now between immigration and the change in the Royal family. So good some not so good. Speaking of which perhaps you should go on line and contact a few visa agencies in Pattaya to see what they have to say.

Thanks again Bill,I have already sourced a lawer in Pattaya through a friend so I think a meeting with him would be the best option.I will use my month in Thailand to see what is available business wise then consult with the lawer,Trying obviously to keep the costs down but I think best not make any moves without some legal advice
                                                         Regards Norrie

Be aware that just about every type of business you can think of and then some has been tried in Pattaya. A high proportion of new starts fail. If you have something unique that seems to do well, someone will copy it and set up across the street. You may want to consider buying an existing established business or franchise. Searching "Sunbelt Asia" might be of interest.

Thank you lancashire Lad yeah I know the pit falls but I have faith in my Thai family, my sister in law is a thai chef and has lived in London for 30 yrs so is able to give me good advice but alls welcome Iwill have a look at the website you suggest thanks again
                                            Regards Norrie1