Should Belmopan be on my radar?

Hi all... New to the board. My wife and I are planning on visiting next summer ( 2017) to have a look around in person .  We are looking at a possible move in 2018. We will have a modest income if we were to 1move down so work isnt a factor.  We have twin three year olds and a couple of hounds.  We are looking for town that has lots of young families, diversity and access to fishing ) .  We are going to visit AC, Placencia, Hopkins and maybe a couple days  inland. Should Belompan be on my radar?  Am I missing any obvious places to have a look while down there this summer ?
Thanks for all the posts this far.  Great site

Jp

Yes I think Belmopan should be on your radar.
Belmopan is the Capital but it is a manufactured one and for a very long time was almost a ghost town after office hours in the government buildings. few people actually lived in Belmopan most commuted by bus from Belize City or San Ignatio (both about an hours drive) or the many villages in between.That was how I knew it in the 90's.  I Had had no reason to either visit or change my opinion until about 3 or 4 years ago  when looking for where we wanted to retire to. We only found out how much Belmopan had changed  and now has to offer when viewing a property we did not actually buy. Visiting Belmopan I found it has   changed so much, it is  a bustling town in its own right and has good shopping, some good restraunts, and nightlife. Its location in the center of the country is great as you are only a couple of hours from the international airport, it has a small airport for internal flights.  A couple of hours down the hummingbird and you are in the mainland beach towns. It has markets two days a week all the banks and government offices are here, the Belize river meanders through and around it, there  are good Schools, within a couple of miles the only mainland golf course (as yet, more are supposed to be being built in different parts) and  I find it a reasonable cost of living. I am of course  totally Biased. I found a great piece of land and now have 2 houses in situ, one simple one we put up quickly for a base and that my son lives in and we are just finishing my forever after house, which we will move in permanently as soon as the old codger I'm married to  actually retires, he keeps putting it off,
I have read on this forum people saying there are no expats in Belmopan, any there are only live by the embassies and there is nothing in the town.  I think these are those who have the old memories I had, but never had opportunity to  see the updated version of Belmopan, or simply some who read the whole 28 words devoted to Belmopan in one of the major guide books.  just my two penny worth

Hi Rocky606,

Please note that i have created a new thread with your post on the Belize forum. Here it will be easier for you to communicate with other members.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thank you for response.  I will continue to research before we finalize our bookings.  I am very excited for our trip!!