Zika Virus

Greetings
How is Zika being addressed in PR? Are there reported cases? How bad is the problem?
Thanks
Natalia

Although I'm a Dr,. I'm not that kind of Dr. (i'm a Ph.D.).  So, you should look for more reliable information than mine (that means a credible, scholarly, medically-peer reviewed source).  Until then, my understanding is that Zika infection rates on the island are significant and growing.  Having said that, the most susceptible population is those pregnant or at risk of pregnancy.  Among the population outside of that at-risk group, Zika is rarely life-threatening, producing flu-like symptoms.  Taking reasonable precautions against Anthopheles mosquito bites is always a good idea.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Zika has been around for decades. It is in PR as it has been in most of the Caribbean. 80% of those who have the virus have no symptoms. And those who  do have flu-like symptoms, which  go away after a few days with no long-term effects,. Seriously, it is nothing. The CDC allocated funds for sparying in PR, which Padilla rejected, because it would also kill the bees essential for poilination of the crops . He agreed to eradication of the mosquitos by another agent harmless to bees.

If you read the science, you will see that the Zika virus is no big deal. It has only become an issue recently due to effects on unborn babies, mostly in the first trimester. Such was never reported throughout the history of the virus, until recently ,leading some to believe the problems arised from pesticides used in Brazil, which the mosquitos carried and mutated the species throughout Latin America.

I think it is a concern for those with auto-immune diseases, or anyone who is immune supressed.  I hope they can find a vaccine soon!

True, it is a significant concern, apart from those pregnant or likely to become pregnant, if their natural immune systems are so compromised as to make it extraordinarily difficult to fight off flu-like symptoms.  This could include the very old, the very young, or those with HIV or other immuno-suppressant diseases.

From my earlier post, here is the direct link to CDC information on Zika in Puerto Rico:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/al … uerto-rico

My whole family had zika this spring. Symptomatically, it was milder than a typical flu. I had a very mild fever than I might not have noticed without the rash all over my chest & back. Symptoms passed probably in about a week. Conventional wisdom seems to suggest that if you are not pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or married to someone who is planning to become pregnant (as it can be transmitted sexually), it should not be a major concern.

In my neck of the woods, it is a non-issue. I can only say this in an Indelicate Way: There are far worse diseases that can be transmitted sexually.

There are far worse diseases -- period. Tick fever is way worse, and ticks are pretty much everywhere.

Agree it is as we know of little consequence, BUT the numbers are large, I read numbers like 150k infected. About 12 with the paralysis and 6 death. Of the 150k with the infection abou 2500 were pregnant not sure of what trimester.

So far PR is mostly using prevention, like condoms, awareness program, getting rid of stagnant water, some local spraying house to house, a small experiment in Caguas I think with mosquito traps and getting people to use repellents.

We need a program that puts condoms on the male mosquitoes to get rid of the issue :D

Article (in English) published today in El Nuevo Dia: http://www.elnuevodia.com/english/engli … s-2268731/

Yes, I didn't mean to minimize the significance of Zika for pregnant mothers or couples planning to become pregnant. Indeed, it seems to be quite serious in that case. On the other hand, compared to other mosquito borne illnesses now endemic in Puerto Rico (e.g., Chikungunya & Dengue) or elsewhere in the neotropics (e.g., Malaria), the symptoms of Zika for healthy adults seem to be quite mild....

The fact is that babies born with abnormalities are rare, and more concentrated in a specific area of Brazil, where mosquitos were originally sprayed to control Dengue. For that reason, some scientsts believe it has to do with the insecticide used on those mosquitos that forced a mutation on mosquitos carrying Zika.

This theory is further supported by the fact that the Zika virus itself has been around for decades but microcephlia had never been observed in babies of infected mothers until recently. The first trimester of  pregnancy is the most sensitive. I don't believe any baby has been born with the anormality from a mother who contracted the disease late in her pregnancy.

Anolis wrote:

On the other hand, compared to other mosquito borne illnesses now endemic in Puerto Rico (e.g., Chikungunya & Dengue) or elsewhere in the neotropics (e.g., Malaria), the symptoms of Zika for healthy adults seem to be quite mild....

Absolutely, you're right there.

Maybe I read it wrong but that article seems to say otherwise about babies in PR. I am not aware of any spraying in PR.
Excerpt of the article: Meanwhile, in Puerto Rico, there have already been seven confirmed cases of congenital defects, including two babies with microcephaly. Furthermore, the Department of Health has announced that it will be watchful of another four births of babies with Zika-related microcephaly, two of which are due in December.

Also some women have decided to abort, those are not counted in the statistics as they were technically never born.

Regarding spraying: Padilla rejected spraying originally because it would have had a profound adverse effect on agriculture. He later put in place a spraying program that used an agent that targets mosquitos specifically, rather than the agent the CDC originally recommended, which kills pollinators, along with the mosquitos.

Are you referring to localized spraying, like fog or are you referring to aerial spraying?
I am aware of localized fogging in the backyards and inside the houses in some areas but not aware of aerial or systematic fogging/spraying in all of the island. Obviously I could be wrong and just not aware.

ReyP wrote:

...but not aware of aerial or systematic fogging/spraying in all of the island. Obviously I could be wrong and just not aware.

Same here.I didn't hear of or notice of any aerial spraying all over the place.

I have had Malaria several times, cured within moments of discovery and Swine flu for about 2 hours, also know of a 2 week case of Swine flu cured over night.
A fresh crushed or grated clove of garlic chased with a cup of fresh grated ginger root made into a tea with raw honey added will kill viruses in minutes. I have been doing this for about five years now.
Went to Vietnam last year and made the mistake of rinsing my mouth with the water. It didn't take long to develop a nasty sore throat, drank a couple swallows of bottled water which I had added garlic and honey to and moments later no sore throat.
First things I try to pick up whenever I travel are garlic, ginger root and lemons, fresh lemons will kill bacteria in moment, also honey will kill bad bacteria but not good. Honey will also heal a cut or scrape faster and better than anything else I know of.  By the way, in Vietnam you have to go to a pharmacy to get honey.

aguila en vuelo wrote:

I have had Malaria several times, cured within moments of discovery and Swine flu for about 2 hours, also know of a 2 week case of Swine flu cured over night.
A fresh crushed or grated clove of garlic chased with a cup of fresh grated ginger root made into a tea with raw honey added will kill viruses in minutes. I have been doing this for about five years now.
Went to Vietnam last year and made the mistake of rinsing my mouth with the water. It didn't take long to develop a nasty sore throat, drank a couple swallows of bottled water which I had added garlic and honey to and moments later no sore throat.
First things I try to pick up whenever I travel are garlic, ginger root and lemons, fresh lemons will kill bacteria in moment, also honey will kill bad bacteria but not good. Honey will also heal a cut or scrape faster and better than anything else I know of.  By the way, in Vietnam you have to go to a pharmacy to get honey.

This is literally impossible - & also dangerous misinformation.

Were your cases of malaria confirmed by positive blood smears? There is no way that a home remedy of garlic, ginger, & honey could kill the blood protozoan responsible for malaria. It is possible that this mixture helped in some way to alleviate the symptoms of a genuine malaria infection (purportedly, ginger helps with malarial 'chills'), and then your regular old immune system did the rest.

Similarly, how was your viral H1N1 ('swine flu') infection of two hours diagnosed? How was the fact that you'd cured it with (magically) the same concoction that kills a eukaryotic protist verified? Are you sure that you didn't just get exposed to an infected person, psychosomatically develop symptoms, and then (equally) psychosomatically 'cure' the same symptoms with your home remedy?

My daughter had Swine flu (H1N1) and cured within 2 hours? Uh...not possible!

Aguila en vuelo,

Too much rumcana - leads to dulerium

My wife know about meds, I have no idea what is what, I take 4 aspirins a year and that does for me. The only thing I ever come down with was flu and chicken pox, never had anything else even when exposed

Very helpful to know.
I am a magnet for mosquitos and am always scared of getting infected with any of those diseases.
I heard mosquitoes are more attracted to people with blood type O. Is this accurate?

This forum is definitely not the place to get sound medical advice. I'd recommend to refer to solid, peer reviewed research and of course to your MD.

Mosquitos are everywhere. In Minnesota where I was born, they are the size of fighter jets and will bite through 5 layers of clothes. I was covered in bites all summer.

I ate malaria medicine before going on safari in Kenya and got sick from the medicine. 3 days in, I saw one mosquito and stopped the medicine. I'm here to post.

I wouldn't let the fear of Zika (which is a very insignificant threat) or any other mosquito-transmitted disease keep me from going anywhere and having a good time. You have a better chance of being shot by your next door neighbor here in Georgia.

use repellent - relax, have a good time!

life is short - eat the desert first!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/know-zika-bi … 08064.html

Interesting.  One wonders what the real numbers are.  Then again, one asks that question of numbers from any government, not just PR's.