Close

Moving to Budapest in March - help, please?

Hi, my friend and I are both qualified and experienced EFL teachers and have bought a one-way ticket to Budapest in March. The plan is to find a job there (preferably teaching English) for 3-4 months then travel a bit around Eastern Europe.

I would really appreciate if anyone could answer any of these questions! :)

- will it be difficult to find work as EFL teachers in March? (I'm CELTA qualified and my friend has TEFL. Both have 4-5 years experience and are native)

- are there any well known schools that usually need short-term teachers?

- Do I need to apply for an invoice or would the company/school I work with take care of that?

- if I work as a freelance teacher - giving private lessons, proof reading etc - would I need an invoice too? Or can this happen without one

- (and most importantly) is getting an invoice difficult?

- which would be the best district to stay in?

- is airbnb safe in Hungary? Or, is there a reliable site for renting?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions but we really want this thing to work out so the more information, the better!

Thank you for reading/your time!

Hi Lolepana,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please feel free to browse through the various topics available on the forum, you might find some answers to your questions.

Have a nice day,

Priscilla

Lolepana :

- if I work as a freelance teacher - giving private lessons, proof reading etc - would I need an invoice too? Or can this happen without one

To be legal, and not in the black market, you have to given an Invoice or provide a receipt for everything in Hungary. If you are an EU Citizen, and you have a registered business in your home country, you can maybe invoice to that company. Else, you need to register with the Hungarian tax authority (NAV) as a freelance worker, get your receipt booklet, and give NAV about 35% of your income each month. Plus VAT. And, yes, that is true even if you only teach over something like Skype. If you do it here, you are suppose to pay taxes here (or in your home country if your stay is short). But some tax agency, somewhere, will want something of what you make.  :(

Lolepana :

-- (and most importantly) is getting an invoice difficult?

Just go to a local tax office and ask for a Hungarian tax number and say you want to be a freelance worker. Frankly, registering as a KATA business may cost you less unless you make less than 500 Euro a month.

As an aside the teaching English and proofreading market for English is saturated here. Just about everyone tries to do that who speaks any level of English. Rates can be as low as 800 HUF (2.50 Euro) an hour. Hard to compete at that rate. Best option is to try to contact and get a job at some company or school. The freelance gig may be difficult.

Thank you so much for the info. One last thing, then - if we find a job with a company, will I still need the invoice or it's only for freelance work?

Lolepana :

if we find a job with a company, will I still need the invoice or it's only for freelance work?

If you are an employee, the local employer deals with the tax authority 100%. Employees are not even required to submit a yearly tax return if employment income is their only income source.

Thank you so much! It's sounding a bit difficult to stick to our plan right now - hopefully we'll manage!

Expatriate health insurance in Budapest

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Budapest

Moving to Budapest

Find tips from professionals about moving to Budapest

Travel insurance in Budapest

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Budapest

Flights to Budapest

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Budapest