Close

Teaching English with no degree

I wanted to spend some time next year travelling around Asia, and staying in Vietnam for a while as well, I was there earlier this year and loved all of it.

How feasible is it these days to land a job teaching English at language centres or private tutor? I just need to make enough money to get by as I also have savings to live off also, but I would obviously expect salary wise to be on the lower end of the spectrum.

In Australia I currently work for a large Bank doing project management type work, I have a pretty good resume/CV for my age but I never went to University or College as I just worked my way up the ladder.

I know back in the day you could almost walk in as a well presented white guy who spoke English and land a teaching job. But I'm sure things have changed a lot, I know in Thailand for example they've really cracked down. Thoughts?

My thoughts .............

No training and no clue, but you want to educate - Is that fair on the kids?

All due respect I'm not looking on advice on whether I should do it or not , I'm sure you're well aware this is something done by thousands of expats looking for work.

Go ferret, 1989.

There is plenty of work at all levels.

Word of mouth, a bit of footwork, free demo lesson..?
You'll find what you're after, and once you have proven
your worth, the pay will too.     :top:

Your biggest problem would be the Government regulations. The puplic school system is, of course, funded by the Government. It in turn contracts private institutions to supply native English teachers. These private agencies and schools have to follow government regulations and stipulations. They can only hire teachers that have some kind of certification, like TEFOL, TESEL and at least a Bachelor Degree.

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam