Contrary to the very limited and often biased information provided by media and government departments, Canada is not a country where it's easy for immigrants to prosper. You have to do your own research thoroughly before deciding to come here. At very least, you should get a clear picture based on investigating the following 10 areas.
1. HOUSING. Very expensive especially in big cities. Very little social housing and long waiting lists.
2. HEALTH CARE. Different monthly premiums in each province. Dental and eye care often not covered. Many medications not or only partly covered.
3. JOBS AND JOB CREDENTIALS. Your education and experience may not be accepted here. Many immigrants end up working far below their abilities. Do not come to Canada without a written guarantee of a job in your own field.
4. CLIMATE. Varies a lot but generally long, bitterly cold winters in interior of Canada and wet winters in coastal areas.
5. TRANSPORT. Distances you have to travel are often great even within cities. Public transportation is poor except in major cities where it is overcrowded, Hard to survive without a car. Check costs of vehicle insurance.
6. TAXES. Income taxes high with federal levy plus each province also charging its own tax. Goods and services taxes also apply to purchases. Check also property taxes.
7. UTILITIES. Electricity, water, natural gas - vary from one town or city to another. Electricity in Ontario is very expensive.
8. SAFETY. Check the crime maps for any city/town you're considering.
9. EDUCATION. Often expensive. No free school supplies, sports equipment etc. You pay for university or college.
10. SOCIAL SUPPORTS. Very little safety net here. Unemployment insurance and social security do not pay enough to live on. Check what you'd be eligible for and what happens if you lose your job. Old age security and other income for seniors are token payments to keep recipients barely surviving.
Other things you can't research include loneliness, loss of family and friends, and having to deal daily with things that are simply unfamiliar to you.