Close

Where and why do you have a bank account in Ecuador?

When I arrived to Ecuador,  I needed to deposit $25,000 for the purpose of my resident visa application.  I decided to make that deposit at Banco Pichincha because I read a recommendation somewhere by another expat.

In order to make that investment, I was required to open a savings account with them that comes with a Visa debit card.   I was despositing checks periodically into this account drawn from my U.S. bank that would take about 2 weeks to clear.   Pichincha currently has a $3,000 deposit limit on out-of-country checks.

Now that I have a checking account in the U.S. that doesn't charge ATM fees, I have less of a reason to maintain a balance in my Pichincha savings account.

Since I am now a citizen, In about 9 months when my CD expires, I expect be able to take control once again of my funds.  I will leave the money in Ecuador, but I will have to make a decision as to whether I want to chase a higher interest rate with Certificate of Deposit with perhapsJEP.

Nards wrote:

In about 9 months when my CD expires, I expect be able to take control once again of my funds.  I will leave the money in Ecuador, but I will have to make a decision as to whether I want to chase a higher interest rate with Certificate of Deposit with perhapsJEP.

----------

JEP has a good record and has paid higher interest than banks, but -- as they say on Wall Street -- past performance may not be indicative of future results.

In this case -- meaning in the overall scenario of Ecuador -- placing substantial money in an account whose balance is not guaranteed, una cooperativa, could be a gamble.  Depressed economy, devastated industries such as real estate and coast tourism, new presidente being elected in several months.  Who knows if there would be another ‘run' on a co-op as happened in Cuenca about four years ago, hurting some Expat depositors?

Another thing frequently heard on Wall Street is this...

The greater the reward, the greater the risk.

I personally wouldn’t invest more than ten percent of liquid assets into an Ecuador co-op.  On the other hand,  lower-interest-paying banks here are guaranteed up to about $33,000 per depositor/account at last word.

cccmedia in Quito

Expatriate health insurance in Ecuador

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ecuador

Moving to Ecuador

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ecuador

Travel insurance in Ecuador

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ecuador

Flights to Ecuador

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ecuador