Close

Can foreigners buy second hand properties?

Someone told me that foreingers can only buy newly built properties. Is this true or can foreigners buy second hand properties as well?

Foreigners can still buy second hand properties but only from another foreigners. You can't buy those from a Vietnamese person.

So your saying a Vietnamese can't sell their property to a foreigner ?

Second hand means a place has already be owned by someone.    Are you saying a foreigner can only buy brand new property from a developer,? 

The "property speculators & flippers" will love that idea won't they.?

I am surrounded by over development in Nha Trang and thousands of these places have already been "sold" to local "flippers" and speculators form Hanoi and Saigon.   They are preying that they can offload them to gullible foreigners that are unaware of the problems involved.

If your correct , that party's over.

Yes, that's what i'm saying. Foreigners can only buy properties from:
1. Brand new properties from a developer or
2. Second hand properties from another foreigners.
Vietnamese can't sell their properties to a foreigner but foreigners can sell there properties to Vietnamese.

Good, Yogi will take that as gospel.

Next time a local tries to sell me their house , I'm off the hook.

Yogi007 :

Good, Yogi will take that as gospel.

Next time a local tries to sell me their house , I'm off the hook.

Just kidding.....Yogis an agnostic.   

You may want to have a look at the new Vietnamese Law on Housing with reference to foreign ownership.

Law 65/2014/QH13

That appears to contradict your theory that foreigners can only buy "brand new"

Also, for those interested,  maybe a peekaboo at post 61# on the thread "Layman's guide to property purchases ". In the accommodation section.     Some sobering stuff there kiddies...

Expatriate health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Travel insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ho Chi Minh City

Flights to Ho Chi Minh City

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ho Chi Minh City