Close

Starting your Business and life in Mauritius

Hi All

We are planning to move to Mauritius in the last quarter of next year 2017. I want to come on a Self-Employed occupation permit and my family as dependents. My questions:

1. How do you start with accommodation, is it better to rent then buy?
2. Grand Bay will be our target location is this good are for business?
3. How does import taxes work on Vehicles from South Africa or is it better to buy in Mauritius?
4. Any idea on the cost to bring your dogs over we have 2 big dogs, i believe its a 30 days of quarantine for them?
5. Do you pay duties if you ship your household stuff over to Mauritius from South Africa?
6. Is there agents helping expats with all the permits, bank accounts and the emigration process, can anyone recommend someone?
7. If you buy a House in Mauritius as a foreigner do you need to pay cash or will the banks give loans as you have to invest min  1.3 MUR anyway?
8. Any estimate on living cost for a family of 4 rent @25000MUR kids are not at school yet, so food , electricity, petrol, internet?

Any feedback will be appreciated deeply

Have a great Sunday All

Marc Ras

Hi,

1) In Mauritius, as a foreigner, you can only buy apartments or properties in IRS/RES schemes with prices starting at around $500,000 or higher depending on the project.
Rent varies depending on the type of property and location.
http://www.investmauritius.com/media/25 … hasers.pdf

2) Grand Bay is a tourist area with lots of people especially expats around. It will depend on your type of business. GB might be good for some activities but not so much for other ventures.

3) Import taxes for motor vehicles are very high. You can be slapped with a 100% import duty. It's recommended you get one here.
In regard to this question and #5 about duties on household stuff, better contact the revenue authority directly.
http://mra.mu/index.php/contact-us

4) Bringing pets to Mauritius
http://agriculture.govmu.org/English/Do … 20-DVS.pdf

6) I don't have anyone in mind but I guess between SA and Mauritius, there are lots of people officiating in the moving process.
However, note that the official agency relating to permits is the Board of Investment.

7) See my first comment about buying properties. Regarding payment modalities, you find get more information from the property developers or realty agents.

8) For a family of 4: Rent + utilities (water, gas, electricity, internet and satellite TV) + healthcare + petrol + upkeep + leisure...I would put the living cost at min. MUR 60,000

Hope this helps.

Hi Winston

Great this helps me allot. Thanks for the info.

Marc

Hello Marc great to hear your exciting plans,Winston has done a great job covering the essential points,this is a really good place to do business.When you register your business you have to do it through a management company,there a lot on the island.I have some really good contacts for this that will help you at a good price,hope this helps.

Expatriate health insurance in Mauritius

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mauritius

Moving to Mauritius

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mauritius

Travel insurance in Mauritius

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Mauritius

Flights to Mauritius

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Mauritius