Container for household goods

We would appreciate any comments regarding problems etc using the container route.

Bonjour

Vous êtes sur le forum francophone , le forum anglophone est ICI
Bonne journée
Cordialement

Hi everyone,

Please note that this thread is now on the Ecuador forum for better visibility.

@ Ghislaine Soly, welcome, hope you get some feedbacks soon.

All the best,
Bhavna

Ghislaine Soly wrote:

We would appreciate any comments regarding problems etc using the container route.

Top five problems....

1.  Shipping overseas to Ecuador is expensive.

2.  If you miss the six-month impuestos window, SENAE will tax the bejeesus out of you, and even if you make the window, they may invent a reason to impose some creative new tax.

3.  Getting your container to your new home may be tricky and costly, especially if you don't have a permanent Ecuador address and have to pay for expensive or hard to find storage.

4.  Most Expat arrivals leave their new city or leave Ecuador entirely after a year or several years, or may return to the home country.  Then you may have new headaches and expenses.

5.  Much easier:  pack a bunch of suitcases and pay the one-time excess baggage fee to the airline... unless you have some large and priceless heirlooms you decide you absolutely have to bring to Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:
Ghislaine Soly wrote:

Top five problems....

2.  If you miss the six-month impuestos window, SENAE will tax the bejeesus out of you, and even if you make the window, they may invent a reason to impose some creative new tax.

When does the 6 month window begin because the law is very vague in this regard. Does it begin when your immigrant visa is approved or from when you apply? According to the "decreto ejecutivo" article 8, paragraph 3 you have "entre dos meses antes y hasta 6 meses después del arribo de la persona migrante como animo de domiciliarse definitivamente en Ecuador" I suppose that's open interpretation (like many things) at the discretion of the particular official

Does the one time "menaje de casa" exemption apply to things such as televisions and say a home theater system as well.....I've heard yes and no on this.

3.  cccmedia in Quito

My go to guru on all things container shipping is Sandra Baquero who is the CEO of Sanestar here in Ecuador.

Here is her contact info:

http://www.sanestarinternational.com/

593 99 969 0583

She speaks English and I think provides the best service.  Best is not cheapest, and you do get what you pay for.

Good luck!

Susan