Selling US plated car in Belize?

Hello!

We are planning our USA/Mexico trip and one of possible options is to buy a car in USA, go south and sell it. As it's impossible to sell a car by foreigner in Mexico we started to think about Belize.

Do you know what is a chance that we will find a buyer for 10-15 years old 4x4 car? In USA we want to spend on it about 4000$.

Do you know about any limits (like less than10 years old in Guatemala) in importing and selling a car? I know about taxes (http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html) but that's something we can't avoid.

Do you know how much time will we need to finish all formalities for selling a car?

Or maybe some of you is a car trader or would like to buy a car in June? :)

Thank you for all help!
Best regards
Bartek

Check the  Belize customs website about taxes for bringing vehicle.
And also you car might be too old.
I live in Mexico and Nobody would want to purchase your car.
Why would they?  It is cheaper to purchase a second hand Mexican car.
Good luck

It all depends on the price. I don't want to do it for profit so I could offer it cheap.
It's preety strange to say that nobody would want my car if noone knows what car will it be (even I) ;)
As far as I know, people look for used car in good condition there and it's not easy to find one because of import tax which may be about 70% of car's value.
The problem is if foreigner is allowed to sell a car there.

Hi there! I am looking at doing the exact same trip and am considering selling in Belize, with a car around that price range. Did you ever find an answer to this ? Thank you!

Yes it is possible for you to sell your car in Belize. There are several factors to consider however, the main one being that on arrival customs would normally give you a maximum of 30 days to keep the car in Belize without paying importation duty. Also if a local purchase the car, they would still be required to pay importation duty regardless of the price you or them paid for the car. Customs uses the Blue Book value and then make deductions thereafter based on the condition of the car. Another factor is that there is a significant number of used car on the local market so getting a quick sale is easier said than done. This factor is naturalize however by the fact that you are not aiming to make a profit as opposed to the other sellers and this fact will certainly tip the scale in your favor. It would also be helpful if you are able to find an Expat who is on the QRP and in the market for a used car. In such circumstances the buyer qualifies for duty exemption on the purchase of the car. I avail myself for any questions that may arise.

Kindest regards,

Ray4s1