Property prices in South Africa

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in South Africa is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in South Africa?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

hie priscilla.housing in rsa is expesinsive.high density average R500 000+  and low density areas is R1 000 000+

basically one need to be  permanant resident to buy fixed property in RSA.loans are abundant but they need colllateral and and permanent residence status.

personal i am renting a flat downtown and rate is R5000 per month for a two bedroom flat and you need a deposit of R12 000
.00 initially.

its cheaper to rent on high density areas at R500-r1500 per month per room but the main threat is security.personal i am a proud nigger and if i rent there i cannot be easily identified.Some South africans do not respect foreigners though.i thank you.

Hello,

Nice survey Priscilla.

We live in Sunninghill, Sandton.

We chose this suburb because very central, safe, quiet & nice.

Average monthly rental for decent, clean, unfurnished 2 bed/ 2 bath/ 2 parking in secure complex is R 10,000 to R 15,000.00.

Loving South Africa!!

real estate in rsa is highly orgainised with areal representatives displayed on roads  in each surbub.estate management companies are also available.what matters is your money and permanent resident status for a foreigner as far as fixed property is concerned.average rental price per flat is R7000.00 per 2 bedroom flat.average purchase price per house/flat is R1 200 000.average price of houses in high density areas is R600 000 PER 3 beroomed house.

i live in a shared flat with other foreigners because of security concerns and financial constraints.

Hi,

for someone interested to live in Cape Town I´d recommend Marina da Gama. This is a development consisting of penisulas in a the Zandvlei (a shallow lake formed by water coming down Table Mountain) which extends until mybe 50 m to the Indian Ocean and part of which is a nature reserve and bird sanctuary. Quiet, safe (due to guards and bicycle patrols on most of the islands and the fact that access is easily monitored as there is only one road leading onto the peninsula) and relatively affordable ( as it´s at least a 45 min drive to the city center during rush hour). You can paddle across the lake to do your shopping should you wish to. Rentals start from R 4000 for a 1-bedroom apartement.

Petergumbo,  to the best of my knowledge you don't have to be resident to purchase property in South Africa.  It might be an issue getting a bond (mortgage), as a foreigner, but if the finance can be raised, foreigners can buy houses in SA.

That's true. You don't have to be a resident.