Close

Property prices in Madagascar

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Madagascar is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Madagascar?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

To kick off the conversation that is general and broad I will add some I my thoughts.

I recommend that when you arrive in Madagascar is that you stay in a hotel for at least a week in the area you are interested in, this way you can get a reduction price of your room. The longer you stay the greater the savings.

Then you travel and look around the various neighborhoods and get a feel for the surroundings, and rental prices that will fit your budget.  An apt. or house for rent rules vary so talk with the owners and the neighbors. 

I moved around to some 20 different communities around Madagascar from Diego to Fort Dauphin Tulear and
Mahajanga, Saint Marie, crisscrossing the Island mostly by Taxi Brousse to get the lay of the land and climate and to better understand the locals and their ideas, all  around the island over 5 months till I choose Mahajanga. 

Each community has a least one ex pat hang out and check out that as well for balance. 

After you have rented for at least three years, you will be able to come to terms if you still want to live in Madagascar and invest or  rent. 

Price of land varies and starts at zero dollars if you are willing to homestead on up to buying in the center of town or neighborhood.  This will all come to be clear to you after your first three years.

I first rented a 1000 square foot house on 1 acre with all Vasaha amenities ( inside toilet and Kitchen and tiled rooms) much like I would get in the USA. I rented for $100 a month and that was 11 years ago- and went back last year to the same house rental and it was $150.
French double doors opened up to  overlooked the Mozambique channel and had the  great views and a nice cool breeze, nice neighbors. Mostly locals that  had lived there for a generation or more and got the land for free back then.

I bought my land, had a cement house built according to my plans and have lived here in Mahajanga for 10 years.  My last tax payment for $3  back in 2011 and still waiting for the 2012 taxes to come out.

Expatriate health insurance in Madagascar

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Madagascar

Moving to Madagascar

Find tips from professionals about moving to Madagascar

Travel insurance in Madagascar

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Madagascar

Flights to Madagascar

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Madagascar