Property prices in Brazil

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Brazil is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Brazil?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

My life circumstances are different for most that may come here. My wife is the owner of a beauty salon and finding a place to live was no problem as the section that houses the salon also has 4 apartments in it 3 which we sub-rent out to others. The rent for the entire building is R$10,000 which our section is 1/4 of the entire building or $R2500 it is a nice arrangement in which one of the apartments is rented to her close friend and manager of the salon. To make a long story short everything was here without problems.

The section of the city I like best is the center section and the area is a low crime area of Manaus. The center area  is ideal for her business as she gets many customers in her salon.

We are planning to purchase a lot outside of the city located along Highway BR70 south of the Ponte Negro bridge. And build a house there the prices are reasonable and the area is like living in the country but only a short distance from the city.  But alas so many things to do I am up in age. I hope that I can accomplish this for my wife. The price for the land is R$2500 down and 400 per month for 5 years. Plus we would have all the costs of building the house on it. Seems like so much to do in so little time unless I hit the lottery then things will move faster.

Good topic, especially for any new persons on the platform.
I live in São Paulo. In my 3.5years in Brazil, I've moved accomodation twice and it's not a funny experience, so it's always good to have some background knowledge.
Important thing is to balance your capacity to pay with the level of security you need as the relationship between price and security is almost lineally correlative.
While living in 'condominio fechado' is relatively safer than houses, the attendant maintenance fee (which in my case is more than 50% of the monthly rent) is quite unreasonable. However, I can go to work knowing my family is safe. Put this against living in a house which is cheaper and you have to keep wondering everyday if your family is fine. You also don't wanna live close to the slums where the crime rate is very high.
A mini-flat in Zona Sul costs between 1800 and 3000 Reais monthly. Expensive, maybe but a very calm area and family friendly. I'd definitely recommend where I live now to anyone. All necessary facilities are within short distances. Also, I discovered the corretores can be negotiated with...hahahaha.
As for owning a house/apartment in Brazil, I've decided against it. My contract is up in a short while and I do not wish to renew it. The plenty paper works and bank charges for almost everything is just going to be a headache...not the type I wanna have if I'm far away in Europe or Australia.
So, thank you Brazil. It's been a wonderful time.
Peace!

Can anyone shed some light on rental prices and sale prices of apartments in Rio? I really like Zona Sul, Centro and Zona Norte. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like some links to rental listings (Not AirBnB).

This will be very difficult to give any price. It is too dependent of bairro, street, quality of  building/condo, utilities included, size. Look at OLX which is the biggest classified website in Brazil. Or estate agente websites. Search for "Apartamentos para alugar em Rio".  Just one remark, renting price listed don't include always the condominio fee ("condo") which is a maintenance building fee (+sometines water/gaz). The condo can be extremelly high in top quality building or when there is are only of few apparments in the buidling. Be aware.