Close

Property prices in Kuala Lumpur

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Kuala Lumpur is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Kuala Lumpur?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

Hi, just to share my experience about finding a place to stay in Malaysia. Initially it was very tough. When we first arrived in Malaysia, we lived in a small studio apartment in Nilai as my husband was teaching at one of the nearby colleges. It was only a single room studio apartment.

Five months later we had to move to KL because my husband was offered a teaching position at another college. It took us two months to secure a nice apartment. Almost all the places we came across was either too run down or simple requires a lot of investment to make it presentable. Most of them are not furnish and are very old apartment. I realize that most house owners simply buy an apartment for investments and then leasing it out with an expectation that the tenant will invest on improving the condition of the house (e.g. painting, install curtains, install nice lightings etc.). At the end of the contract, the owner will walk away with a nice apartment that has been repaired to a living condition.

I also realize that the locals who lease the apartments are usually those out of town working in KL who doesn't care about the house condition as they have their own house in other states. So living in a badly ruined house is a temporary accommodation for them. After a period of time, If their job stabilizes, they will then purchase a house near their work place. Good housing agents are also difficult to get because they will frown at you if you keep refusing all the houses that they've shown you.   

My advise to those who are searching for an apartment is to be selective and ignore any pressure from the housing agents or house owners. Demand for repairs or installation to make the house presentable. Do not spend on immovable assets such as curtain railings (which may cost several thousand), lightings, plumbing and electrical installation. These are investments that will only benefit the owner. Check on the market rate before you sign the contract. Each area has its own rental rate. If you are not sure, seek other people's opinion and tell the agent that you need time to consider.

Good luck

Hi

Kuala Lumpur offers ample choice for renting as per the tenant's budget and preference. Residing near the place of work or school is preferred to avoid peak hour traffic which can be a bit too heavy though not as bad as Jakarta or Bangkok.

For expats PJ, Jalan Ampang, Mont Kiara, Damnsara, Hartamas, Bangsar is a good choice as International schools, Malls and eateries are in its vicinity or within 15-20 minute driving distance.

I would advise a visit to iproperty.com.my or prop guru.com for a good insight into offers for sale or renting available depending on the area of choice and budget depending on proximity to place of work or school as per one's requirement

Regards

Anant

Expatriate health insurance in Kuala Lumpur

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Kuala Lumpur

Moving to Kuala Lumpur

Find tips from professionals about moving to Kuala Lumpur

Travel insurance in Kuala Lumpur

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Kuala Lumpur

Flights to Kuala Lumpur

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Kuala Lumpur