Close

Question about the 9V and 9VI

Here's my story in a nutshell: I will be getting married in Ecuador to Ecuadorian citizen early next year and plan remaining there. Given my situation (I'm 37, so I'm not a pensioner nor retiree) I have two options for an immigrant visa, the 9V or 9VI. I could go the route of the 9VI through marriage to an Ecuadorian national or the 9V via my education, I have a B.A. in Economics and an M.A. in International Commerce and I DO eventually plan to work in a field related to my studies.

Is there a benefit to one over the other or are the rights/responsibilities the same? Also, do I have to remain in Ecuador while the application is being processed or will be it cancelled if I leave? Basically, I would like to begin the application process while I am in Ecuador for two weeks in February, return to the US to take care of some things, prepare to move and then move in April. Likewise, is it possible to have the approved documents (or cedula) mailed to me or the consulate in the US?

Expatriate health insurance in Ecuador

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ecuador

Moving to Ecuador

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ecuador

Travel insurance in Ecuador

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ecuador

Flights to Ecuador

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ecuador