Close

How to get back the deposit

Hi All,

My problem is a bit strange.
I am from Germany. In August, I went to Odense to work for an organization. I hired an apartment there and as per agreement, I paid the 3 months rent + security money (2 months rent). This means that the collective sum I paid was a 5 months rent. Out of that 2 months was a security deposit which i was suppose to get back. I started living and working in August 2016. However, by the end of the month, I realize myself not able to accommodate with the environment so I decided to go back to Germany. I immediately told the landlord about that and it was ok. Since the contract deadline was 3 months, I have paid already for Sept, Oct and Nov (as a summed up money), I only paid for Aug and went back home. Of course, I met with the landlord, showed him everything, drank a coffee with him and said him goodbye. The official rental period will end in the end of Nov 2016. However, I left the apartment in August. The landlord mentioned (in Aug) that everything is fine and he will return the deposit. I have the email communication as a proof. But till toady I havent got anything. Though he wrote me 2 times in Sept and Oct that he will transfer the money in next few days but that few days never seems to come to an end.

Now I am in Germany and working. The landlord is neither replying to my mails nor answering my calls. What is my best option to get the deposit back? Is there a way for someone like me who no longer lives in Denmark can get a legal help or initiate a legal process. Or what is the process to initiate such campaign.

Any experience, advice would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Gul

I would advise you to contact Fyn's tenant association and put your question to them.
http://www.lejerfyn.dk/
You have to become a member of the association to get their help, and a membership costs 675 kroner the first year (calendar year?), but they will definitely be able to help you.

This a link dealing with your rights:
http://www.boligportal.dk/info/boligudl … depositum/

/Nellie

Dear Nellie Berg,

Thanks for your reply, I tried the link you mentioned even with google translation, its a bit of difficult to get to the right spot at the page (because of translations). But I thank you for this help. I will register myself and let see what happens.

My understanding is that it is a rental portal where the members can advertise their apartments for renting and vice versa.

With Kind Regards,
Gul

The latter link leads to a rental or selling site, but there are also advice to find about the rent act for both renters and landlords.

There is also Huslejenævnet, e.g. the municipal board which judges in rent disputes between renters and landlords. Actually, it isn't the right place for this case as the landlord has acknowledged to pay your money back, but just don't do it. With a verdict from Huslejenævnet in hand, you can summon the landlord for a trial at Boligretten (housing court).

You'll still have the possibility to complain about the amount of the rent if you think it might be too high.  http://www.odense.dk/borger/bolig%20og% … ejenaevnet
It costs 305 kroner to make a complaint over the rent, but it may be worthwhile as the landlord will have to pay back what he has overcharges.

Can you read this leaflet?
file:///C:/Users/Guri/Downloads/Folder%20huslejen%C3%A6vn%202016ny.pdf
On page 1 to the left there are two addresses. The first one offers free legal assistance, but only if you turn up personally. However, the other one doesn't have the same restrictions, and you can email them.

Retshjælpen i Vestergade
Vestergade 51, 1. sal
5000 Odense C
Tlf. 66 12 09 44
www.retshjaelpenivestergade.dk
Åbent tirsdag og onsdag kl. 13-16
og torsdag kl. 15-18.

Start writing to Retshjælpen.

/Nellie

Expatriate health insurance in Copenhagen

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Copenhagen

Moving to Copenhagen

Find tips from professionals about moving to Copenhagen

Travel insurance in Copenhagen

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Copenhagen

Flights to Copenhagen

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Copenhagen