Close

Malagasy Food

Which local foods do you enjoy and how do you cook these local treats.

Our lunch for a family of four yesterday was a cup of tiny dry shrimp that can be bought in the market for 20 cents, sold in a heaping can that is used as a measurement -of the large can of  Ronono Mandry Mamy              ( condensed Milk)
The dry shrimp are so small that there are about 200 shrimp to a cup.
Boil in water, add a tomato, and an onion, salt and some local green vegetable which you can find for free in your yard, or your neighbors yard or just on the street, if not add another 15 cents bought in the market. A batch of rice and you have a wonderful healthy meal for less than $1.50 to feed a family of 4.  Yes there was a small left over for later on.   Dessert was Jack Fruit at 1.50 for a 12 lb fruit ball- very sweet indeed.

Tis the season for  lychee and  has come to Mahajanga. 
Very sweet and bright red.
10,000 Fmg per kilo- I bought a full bag of 12 kilos- about 25 lbs for 90 Fmg
or about $6 usa

That is the price I can get for it on my side of the island this 11/21/2016

One of my favorite breakfast foods is watery rice with a couple of tablespoons of salty, spicy  beef bits that has marinated for 24 hours.  Watery rice is not new to me as I had this in my travels in Asia, but have never seen this in the USA in any hotels I have stayed in. 
You can also substitute beef for dried salty dried fish.   And this breakfast treat for me is also served throughout the day as it stretches out rice meals.

Then there is the drink that you get by burning the rice that has stuck to the bottom of the rice pot  and pouring a liter or so of water into the pot and boiling it and let simmer for a few minutes.  This brownish water is a good after meal drink.    Not sure if there are any good related health issues to this, but I feel pretty good after and refreshed.

I have yet to experiment with this drink by adding other spices, however what is your take on this rice drink.

Expatriate health insurance in Madagascar

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Madagascar

Moving to Madagascar

Find tips from professionals about moving to Madagascar

Travel insurance in Madagascar

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Madagascar

Flights to Madagascar

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Madagascar