Travel to other European countries with a Belgium D Visa.


I am an Indian Citizen. I reached Brussels last week on a D visa in which it is mentioned as valid for "Belgique". It is not mentioned as "Schengen" anywhere in the stamp. I do not have a separate valid schengen visa now. So does this mean I cannot travel and visit any other place in Europe outside Belgium with this Belgique D visa until I get a residence card? Some one said so and some one else said its okay to travel once i receive annexure 15. Please clarify on this. Is it safe to visit some other place like Germany with just this visa or will this be checked in airports / train stations? Is there any recent change in rules regarding this?

Thank you! … 810:EN:NOT … durata.htm

Based on these sources and my understanding from them, you can travel freely inside Schengen area with the D type visa even if it says only "BELGIQUE", while waiting for your Residence Permit :)

In practical, there is no passport control inside schengen area, but do carry your passport all the time :)

Oh great, thank you Aneesh. That is what even I was thinking. And I did that without any issue when I was on Denmark visa 4 years back. But a colleague  told me recently , someone he knows was checked in an airline during return from a schengen country and they recommended him to take another airline in which they would allow. So he ended up spending for 2 tickets for entire family!

okay. It is a good idea to get a confirmation from the airline or consulate of the destination country.

hmm yes, i will try to do that or postpone such travels until i get residence card.

Be aware that Schengen covers only some countries in Europe and not all, when considering whether you can substitute as a visa national the requirement for visa with another type of visa / residence permit issued by a Schengen member when travelling around with your passport. So be aware which countries are not part of Schengen.

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Belgium

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Belgium

Moving to Belgium

Find tips from professionals about moving to Belgium

Travel insurance in Belgium

Enjoy stress-free travel to Belgium