Thanksgiving

I was wondering if any restaurants or hotels hosted a Thanksgiving celebration each year.  We just moved here from St Louis, MO a few weeks ago and our things haven't arrived yet, so I don't have much in the way of kitchen items, so not easy to make a Thanksgiving dinner at our house yet!

Thanks for all the help!

It's not a recognised holiday here so it's unlikely. Some places (more in the countryside) have a kind of harvest ball, but that's about it.

Why not give thanks to your safe arrival in a new culture by celebrating with a slap-up Romanian meal at a good traditional local restaurant. Would seem in the spirit of the tradition if not adhering exactly to the menu you're used to. You can certainly find places that serve a good portion of roast bird with potatoes and veg so it won't feel totally alien.

Thanks! That will probably be our plan.

You could try one of the following restaurants - they have Romanian food and most of them have menus in English so you won't struggle to find your way around:

Hanul Berarilor (two locations, one near Unirii and another on Pache Protopopescu in the house the king built for his mistress), Caru' cu Bere (interesting interior decor), La Mama (been going for years), Hanu' lu' Manuc (set in one of the oldest buildings in Bucharest), or Casa Doina.

kebrodbeck wrote:

I was wondering if any restaurants or hotels hosted a Thanksgiving celebration each year.  We just moved here from St Louis, MO a few weeks ago and our things haven't arrived yet, so I don't have much in the way of kitchen items, so not easy to make a Thanksgiving dinner at our house yet!

Thanks for all the help!

There's a American style restaurant near the airport in Iasi that's doing a Thanksgiving meal that might actually be decent.  It's a cheap 55 minute flight away :)  Other that that, I think the chances are slim to none as Thanksgiving is not a Romanian holiday and most locals are not even aware of it; despite local retailers poorly imitating the Black Friday concept.  If you plan to stay in Bucuresti, you may want to take some of Maykal's suggestions.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team