Planning to move to Thailand at the end of 2012

Hi everyone,

I am planning to move to Thailand after my present school contract finishes at the end of 2012. I am a professional singer/songwriter of 40 odd years, also work with behavioural and special needs  students using a songwriting and music program to raise self esteem, literacy and numeracy.
Would like all the insight I can get regarding all the usual things i.e. Area, Accom, finances, possible work etc.
I have been doing my research and also have an expat muso friend based there, but you can never have too much information!
Want to do this right as it is a big move.

Hi Navaar,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope you get reponses very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

I think end of 2012 is a bit far out to collect info. You should wait till middle of 2012 to collect info because many things can change during the coming year.

Thanks straydog,

I am aware of that possibility however it doesn't hurt to plan ahead especially in regards to such an endeavour. My intention is to come over at least two times in the meantime i.e. around August this year and perhaps again round January or April the following year. I'm slowly starting to get a feel for areas and rents but things can be quite different on the ground.

You have not said which part of Thailand you plan to live.  If your looking for idea's on good locations you might give details of lifestyle you wish to live.

For accommodations check  mrroomfinder.com

For jobs check  jobsdb.co.th
Jobs for teaching ajarn.com

Hi again straydog,

I have been looking at all options in relation to areas. I realise they are all different too. I do like the beach but to be honest don't think I could handle the obvious tourist spots. Being an entertainer I have had my fair share of the BS that can engulf those places. Great places to perform however! Not sure if Bankok would be the go either, but work might dictate that. Just recently have been checking out places in Hua Hin! It'll be a condo or a house. I know a lot of retiree's go for Chang Mai.
Have checked roomfinder and estate agents, but the local papers seem to be coming up with better value.
As said in previous post I will be coming over a couple of times first that way I can get a feel on the ground.

Thanks for your input

If you dont like big touristic places, in one of your visits I recommend you go to Baan Krood, very very friendly place, next to a massive virgin beach. No tourist or expats whatsoever. Though you might find difficult getting a house around there for either rent or buy.