Can I e-file with a foreign address?

I intend to eventually do away with my U.S. Global Mail mailbox , so I asked myself that very question today.

According to Turbotax,

Yes, you can now file federal (IRS) returns if you or your employer has a non-U.S. address. However, there are some restrictions regarding foreign-address returns:

Due to IRS regulations, you will need a U.S. bank account to receive your tax refund.
You'll need a U.S. bank account or credit card with a U.S. billing address to pay owed taxes and product fees.
The optional NetSpend Premier® Visa® Prepaid Card and Refund Processing Service require a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address.
Free products (for example, TurboTax Federal Free Edition and Easy Extension) which require registration in lieu of payment require a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address.
Some states also let you e-file with non-U.S. addresses. We'll let you know if your state supports this.

My accountant in the U.S. e-filed on my behalf for Tax Year 2015.  I have only a Quito address.  Like most Expats, I have a bank account and a Visa card associated with that account.

The free products, which he probably obtained, were available through his address.

There was no state tax paid, despite some income from California, to which he e-filed a state return.

cccmedia in Quito

New topic