Close

Car buying / importing advice

Hi all,

Im looking at getting a car and interested in some advice from members here. Im thinking a Mercedes A200 or similar car and want to spend around 15k Euros, maximum 20k.

Ive heard that second hand cars in Romania can be very risky with plenty of scams around, anyone had any experience of this? Is it also the case from big dealerships in Bucharest?

I also notice the used cars are significantly more expensive than in UK. I am trying to work out how much the cost is to import a car but as the law seems to have changed recently I cannot find any definite information on what is required to import a car. If I was to import a car I would try to find a good LHD one in the UK but this would reduce my choice of cars alot.

Of course another option is to buy a new car in Romania but I prefer to check the used car options first.

Any advice appreciated, especially if you have a link or know the rules about importing cars.

So in my search I found a lot of cars available on Mașini de Vânzare România facebook group. These are all private sales and some seem pretty good deals. Wondering if anyone else has any opinions on these sort of sales or experience with this.

Also, anyone know what fees are paid when buying a used car (change of ownership etc.).

xozz :

So in my search I found a lot of cars available on Mașini de Vânzare România facebook group. These are all private sales and some seem pretty good deals. Wondering if anyone else has any opinions on these sort of sales or experience with this.

Also, anyone know what fees are paid when buying a used car (change of ownership etc.).

The underlined statement is key :)  If you're serious about buying a used car in Romania, better double and triple check everything with different and independent mechanics, hopefully ones you have had good experience with before.

Odometer and other on board computer fraud is common here.  Also, there's a lot of crashed cars that would be destined for scrap yards in other countries; here they are somewhat repaired and put back on the road.  On the surface they might look alright, but underneath tells more.

I've bought a used car here years ago, never again will I make that mistake.  I know plenty others that have also been burned with used cars originating in RO.

As for fees, it can vary depending on how you go about the sale and if the pollution tax has been paid or not, or recovered already or not, and whether you'll take the existing registration plates or get new ones.

Expatriate health insurance in Romania

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Romania

Moving to Romania

Find tips from professionals about moving to Romania

Travel insurance in Romania

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Romania

Flights to Romania

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Romania