Close

Wanting to teach in Thailand

Hi all! I'm new on here, and I am looking into teaching in Thailand or Asia. I just wanted some advice. I am going to an international job fair in San Francisco in February through a company. Unfortunately Thailand will not be there. I am a certified teacher in my third year of teaching.

Is it better just to come to Thailand and find work as a teacher? I could come in summer and I don't mind spending the time and money as long as it would be beneficial. Does this work?

Thank you in advance!

Hi jenkinsc,

there are plenty of english teaching jobs in Thailand and through out asia, more pay for university graduates.

one example:

https://www.teachaway.com/teach-thailand

English Teaching Benefits in Thailand
Monthly Salary    15,000-30,000THB (approximately $550-$1200)
Working Hours    35-40 hours/week, 5 days a week
Accommodation    $150-$200/month (at teacher's expense); teachers receive assistance in arranging accommodation
Vacation    Varies from school to school Thai holidays + unpaid vacation

I don't know everything or all of the refinements. Then again I am aware of many details, because I too was looking at teaching in Chiang Mai.

The fact that you will be getting a BA degree will be a step up for you. Schools accept people without a BA, when necessary which is often. There are schools that hire from the states. You would have to research that on your own. There are schools that may be located in Chiang Mai or have multiple locations almost everywhere in the world. (For your own sake, please get your BA before some one lures you off to who knows where.) It is advisable to get an international English Teaching certificate. It could be called TEFL. There are school's here in Chiang Mai where you can get that certificate but you have to pay for everything, down to the last pencil in your box. As I read it you have a year to look into the subject, Take your time and enjoy the exploration.

I know Saudi Arabia probably pays the best in the world, for English teachers. Then again foreigners have to live in designated areas and have to comply with whatever Muslim practices there are. There are many facets to that scale and there are some very interesting ones as well. I find it intoxicating to meet people from all over the world and be able to share and learn new ideas. I question that option in the US today.

Bill

put your resume on www.ajarn.com and see what happens

You can check the link below because its all about teaching in Thailand.

If you do have a degree and have been teaching for three years you should have no trouble finding a job.  Make sure any offer comes with a work permit at their cost not yours.

http://www.ajarn.com/

Thank you! Does the work visa usually happen before you get there?

There is a Thai consulate in LA. I believe that it serves all of the western US. You can easily find them on line. I would suggest that you either research their on line material or send an email. Calling them may or may not be helpful.
I just went through the process of getting a work permit. In my case it was under the status of O volunteer. I had to get an O single entry visa in the states. When I arrived I had to finalize the application or process. It can take anywhere from a few days to, in my case, almost two months. In terms of a work permit relative to teaching I'm not certain. You could contact any one of the schools listed on line and ask them directly.

The work permit won't happen till you arrive in Thailand.

If you have an offer letter for employment you would obtain a business visa from consulate in US using that letter.  Once in Thailand the employer should at very least help you with the paper work required to obtain work permit.  Good employers will have staff that manage process.

Some people come to Thailand first on tourist visa looking for employment.   If they find employment and receive job offer in writing you usually must leave Thailand to one of the neighbor countries.   Once there you present your job offer letter to Thai Consulate to obtain a business visa and then return to Thailand.

If you have degree and teaching experience then be selective and bone up on the right questions to ask prospective employers.  Any offer letters should spell out what they are providing and what they expect for your services.

Thank  you so much!!!!

Come here it is easy to find a teaching job. A thousand dollars a month is the average wage, in Bangkok you will earn more. A TESOL certificate is handy but not necessary, a degree works. I taught for 6 years, primary, secondary, college and government employees. I have a few private students now.

Expatriate health insurance in Thailand

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Thailand

Moving to Thailand

Find tips from professionals about moving to Thailand

Travel insurance in Thailand

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Thailand

Flights to Thailand

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Thailand