Getting Married in Ecuador

Hello all, new member here with a few questions and this is my current situation. I am a US citizen living in the US and will be marrying my girlfriend who is an Ecuadorian national. We plan on getting married in Ecuador and permanently residing in the country but I have a few questions regarding the formalities.

My first question is do I need to apply for a type 12IX non-immigrant visa and then enter Ecuador or can I enter with the standard 90 day tourist visa, get married and then apply for a change of status within the country? Also, if I enter on the 12IX visa and get married can I remain in Ecuador while my residency paperwork is being processed? Lastly, do you have to wait 75 days after entering the country to get married (I have seen yes and no).

Any other advice or info would be appreciated

-Andrew

Hi, Andrew,
This information is updated to what they ask in the Civil Register in QUITO. (I asked on Friday)
They ask you to have a type 12 visa, in your case that could be a 12-IX or X, the IX you could ask once you arrive here.
And, yes, after the wedding you can remain the country while waiting for your paperwork to be finished.
Let me know if you need help with the translation work or anything else regarding visas.

Andrew242 wrote:

My first question is do I need to apply for a type 12IX non-immigrant visa and then enter Ecuador or can I enter with the standard 90 day tourist visa, get married and then apply for a change of status within the country?

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Andrew.

An Expat who uses the screen name Roamaholic did an extensive post about the 12/IX non-immigrant 180-day visa based on his successful experience in getting one.  In that post, he reports that you need to apply in Ecuador in person for such a visa / visa extension....

www.roamaholic.com/tourist-visa-ecuador

More information about getting an Ecuador visa that may be relevant to your situation is available at this U.S. Embassy in Quito website and at links you find there...

ec.usembassy.gov   (direct link not available from expat.com)

-- cccmedia in Quito

As to your staying in Ecuador while your paperwork is processed...

Once the immigration officer has accepted your application, you will have the right to remain in Ecuador during processing.

In fact, you should remain in Ecuador during that time to deal with any wrinkles in your application that might come up .. and to receive the approved visa when it is ready.

cccmedia in Quito

Andrew242 wrote:

Lastly, do you have to wait 75 days after entering the country to get married (I have seen yes and no).

The 75-day requirement is widely reported on the Internet.  Contact your region's Ecuadorian consulate for any updates.

cccmedia in Quito

I just noticed that you want to move to Ecuador, Andrew, per your expat.com profile.

You may want to read up on the 9-VI visa, which enables an Expat spouse to obtain permanent residency based on marriage to an Ecuadorian under certain circumstances, according to www.vivatropical.com/ecuador/ecuador-visa ...

cccmedia in Quito

cacahuate wrote:

Hi, Andrew,
This information is updated to what they ask in the Civil Register in QUITO. (I asked on Friday)
They ask you to have a type 12 visa, in your case that could be a 12-IX or X, the IX you could ask once you arrive here.
And, yes, after the wedding you can remain the country while waiting for your paperwork to be finished.
Let me know if you need help with the translation work or anything else regarding visas.

I spoke with the Ecuadorian consulate today and they confirmed this as well, that I would need to have a type 12-IX visa and then apply for the type 9VI (Amparo por Union de Hecho) if I wanted to get married (and remain) in Ecuador.

Also, if we get married in the US when she is here in January, will we be able to apply directly for the type 9VI visa or will still need a the type 12 non-immigrant visa first?

I will definitely keep you in mind when I need the translations done.

cccmedia wrote:

I just noticed that you want to move to Ecuador, Andrew, per your expat.com profile.

You may want to read up on the 9-VI visa, which enables an Expat spouse to obtain permanent residency based on marriage to an Ecuadorian under certain circumstances, according to www.vivatropical.com/ecuador/ecuador-visa ...

cccmedia in Quito

If we were to get married in the US would we be able to apply for the 9-VI visa or do you still have to get the 12IX first?

And thanks for all the replies everyone

Since you're already getting guidance from your local consulate, I suggest that you continue to use the consulate as your official source for answers to the latest ‘inside baseball' questions.

cccmedia in Quito

Read well the requirements for a 9-VI......

Economic Dependence (9-VI Visa) – This Ecuador visa is granted to family members of applicants receiving the above visas, as well as dependent spouses of current citizens or those whose child is an Ecuadorian citizen.

I've done a bit more reading up on what's involved with the 9V professional visa and 9VI visa via marriage. The reason I mention the 9V is my university is on the list published by SENESCYT and I DO eventually plan working in a field related to my studies. My remaining questions are as follows...

1. Do I have to remain in Ecuador while the application (9V or 9VI) is being processed or will it be cancelled if I leave?
              Basically, I would like to return to the US to take care of some things here while the visa is being processed, prepare to move, get the "menaje de casa" exemption from the Ecuadorian embassy and the return to move to Ecuador when the visa is approved.

2. If I am able to leave the country while it is being processed can the documents (cedula) be mailed to me or to the Ecuadorian Embassy in the US?

3. Lastly, aside from the costs (the 9VI is cheaper) is there an advantage to one visa over the other or do they both entail the same privileges/responsibilities (like paying taxes)?

Once again, thanks for all the advice and information

Andrew242 wrote:

1. Do I have to remain in Ecuador while the application (9V or 9VI) is being processed or will it be cancelled if I leave?

Basically, I would like to return to the US to take care of some things here while the visa is being processed, prepare to move, get the "menaje de casa" exemption from the Ecuadorian embassy and the return to move to Ecuador when the visa is approved.

2. If I am able to leave the country while it is being processed, can the documents (cedula) be mailed to me or to the Ecuadorian Embassy in the US?

This is a bad plan because of the reasons I stated in Report No. 4 above .. and because the visa will likely be ready before you're prepared to return to Ecuador.  While I don't know the precise number of days you have to pick up the visa, historically there is a deadline.

You have to apply for the document you mentioned, the cédula, in person in Ecuador after you register the visa in Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito

Andrew242 wrote:

Lastly, aside from the costs (the 9VI is cheaper) is there an advantage to one visa over the other or do they both entail the same privileges/responsibilities (like paying taxes)?

If you earn substantial money from a source in Ecuador, you are subject to taxation regardless of what visa you have.

To my knowledge, all residency visas in Ecuador carry the same rights and responsibilities .. except for the different criteria on which they are originally granted.  For instance, an investment visa requires an ongoing investment of X dollars while a professional visa is based primarily on graduation from an endorsed college or university.

----------

Keep in mind that immigration attorneys do not typically post on this forum.  I am not an attorney.  Given that your situation appears to be complicated, you should confirm any information you receive here with a visa facilitator or immigration attorney prior to taking any action based on such information.  Attorney Sebastian Cordero's new email address at the new firm he has (co-)founded is scordero(at)rcpabogados.com.

cccmedia in Quito

After I had posted here I (she) was able to get some information from the "Cancilleria" about the processes for the 9V and 9VI visas. For the 9VI you have to remain in the country while it is being processed.....I am unsure about the 9V.

Another possibility is the "visa cable", which will take a little longer and is more expensive. However, it eliminates the need (and cost) for a temporary visa. I got a quote from Helping Expat group (Pablo Espinoza) for $850.....anyone have any experience with them?

The other option which I will verify first is give her power of attorney "poder" to do the visa cable.

Hi. I know this post is old...Andrew...I'm a Canadian and I will be getting married to a citizen of Ecuador in November and since she had been denied a tourist visa to Canada we have to get married in Ecuador. I'm just wondering if you can help by giving me the steps you took to get married in Ecuador? I have spent hours reading online and it has just confused me more. I'm wondering what documents I need and if the embassy of Ecuador will do all the translations and apostilles?