Close

Irish citizen born in USA. Never lived in ireland but work in EU

Hi guys, I am an irish citizen born in USA. Currently looking to move with my 4 year old daughter and wife to Ireland. My 4 year old daughter got her passport but we haven't done any paper work for my wife. I have heard it's difficult to get residency status once you arrive in Ireland or at least you need to demonstrate long term commitment to stay in the country. As I do not have any history it might difficult to prove.
But would like to know if I can start the process once I arrive in Dublin, if anyone had similar experiences. Also I might have offers to teach in Spain and Italy; Could I still start the residence process and be in other countries in EU? do I need to stay in Ireland and work there in order to obtain residency. My biggest concern is to have my family enrolled and with medical insurance and school.

Any comments or experiences regarding this will be great.
thanks!

Residency typically implies living and working inside the country continuously.

This link should be useful to you: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo … n_ireland/

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

I would simply process your wife's passport before coming to Ireland, and then you shouldn't have any issues with entering and staying.

Expatriate health insurance in Ireland

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ireland

Moving to Ireland

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ireland

Travel insurance in Ireland

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ireland

Flights to Ireland

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ireland