Close

Sliema, Mellieha or Masakala

Dear Sirs,

Im looking for advise weather to choose one off the 3 locations. And why?

Important info:

1. Im will be locating around 1.3.2017.
2. Im a single dad aged 45 with an 11 year old son. We both love the outdoors, I do, mtb, sea kayaking, running, my son does biking, skateboarding, adores swimming, gaming, and loves to run around with his dog outdoors.
3. We are both very sociable, and this is the number one point off concern choosing rual settings, they can be beautiful but lonely, thats why Sliema comes into the picture, I see there is a scater park and water polo nearby and lots off activities, lots of restaurants and activities, but not so much nature, which we love.
4. I do investments and work from home. My income is good, so costs off living are not important. My son learns best by 1:1 tuition, so Ill hire in some tutors, you know somebody? And teach him from home. His learning is best 1:1 due to lack off concentration, but the challenge is the social connections, especially because he is ultra social...So it all comes back to that the setting is important...Close to where he can meet and have fun with other kids?

Welcome with your suggestions ;-)

Can't think of anywhere surrounded by nature and with social activities in the vicinity. I would suggest renting a villa with an outdoor (and possible even indoor) swimming pool in somewhere like Madliena, Victoria Gardens, Ibrag or Bahar ic-Caghaq. These are pretty close to Sliema and in a slightly rural part of the island. There's a BMX track nearby too. I would avoid Mellieha if you want to home-school your son as teachers are likely to refuse going there because of the relative remoteness. Marsascala is considered less remote than Mellieha by most people but the localities I mentioned above are a lot more central.

Nothing is 'remote' in Malta. Sliema will definitely give you the best access to the international community and though there is no open space like parks (really, there are none), children are always riding bikes and scooters along the seawall and you can access the rocky beach which winds along Tower Rd to Tigne Point; Pembroke is relatively open (to date) and is a short walk/bus ride. You won't need a car if you live in Sliema and should have no problem finding tutors for home schooling. I've lived here two years and though I find it to be a nightmare in the summer months and leave during that time, it's really quite pleasant this time of year. But then being able to get a soy cappuccino within a 3 minute walk from my flat - and sushi within 15- is a priority so there aren't a lot of places I would prefer on this island, coming to think if it...
There are also weekday and weekend hiking groups that go on walks around the island; Once you meet other expats you'll have no trouble finding someone to catch a ride with.

If you have never visited Malta before it would be advisable to have a holiday here before deciding to move.

Never thought about that ;-)

I moved to Marsaskala in August and personally love it, there's a few nice restaurants and some nice bars, two good parks and St Thomas Bay in the summer is fantastic, with many water activities available. I've seen lots of teens on bikes, skates, skateboards and although there's groups of them I've never seen any trouble. My daughter participated in a taster abseiling session that the venture scouts had organised and their programme of events looks fantastic  she's a little to young to join properly though.  I think there's lots to do all over the island you just have to be proactive in finding it, the good thing is that the islands small nothing's far.. It's just the Traffic that makes everything seem further.  That's the link for the venture scouts, worth a little look! http://www.scout.org.mt/ventures.aspx

Thanks a lot. Your answer makes a difference ;-)

Marsascala is definitely a compromise between nature and socializing, as south is less developed. Good for strolls. Unfortunately fish farms near caused the beach especially in StThomas bay is full of sea grass. Sliema has very vibrant urban life, but about sports not much more possible as jogging on the promenade or watersports, fitness, ... Mellieha is more on the hills and quite remote, good for strolls maybe biking too. Sliema is expensive still, about double the price for the same level of property.

Expatriate health insurance in Malta

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malta

Moving to Malta

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malta

Travel insurance in Malta

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Malta

Flights to Malta

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Malta