Any advice on teaching!

hey..i am an anglo- greek, i moved to athens six months ago. I was working as a secretary but i finished that job and im thinking of using the fact that i am a native english to my advantage. However, i am a little bit confused at what qualifications i actually need to teach here. Some of my greek friends told me that I just need a english degree to teach, as opposed to completing a tefl (whoch at the moment is money that i dont have).

any advice people...?? :)

Hi, practically, you don't need to have done a tefl course, you can just use the fantastic esl books on the market and follow the lesson plans.  But a tefl course is of course preferable as it shows you how to teach.  alternatively, get ideas from youtube!

legally it's a different matter. see ypepth.gr  It's complicated, and some say also illegal according to eu law, but that's greece.  I don't live in one of the major cities and native speakers are thin on the ground and competition is fierce and i was turned in to the authorities when i taught illegally at first.  I understand things are more lax in central areas and you can get away with not having a license.  Teaching in frontesteria does not pay well, private lessons are where it's at but it's hard to build up the clientele from scratch.  Good luck!

It's not that hard to start teaching english here, especially since you are a native speaker, but check on the licence you should obtain at ypepth.gr as the above person suggested. :)