Shipping a Financed Vehicle?

June 3rd.

I'll be looking for a 3-6 months consulting job then and retire after that

2014 Toyota Prius C.  Good luck!

Ok a rundown coming soon!  I have been so busy but planned to give my full account once my items have arrived (due in port next week) because so far I have not been happy at all with the shipper I went with and wanted to wait until the end to see how it ends up before I totally trash them.  As far as my car, Puerto Rico Car Transport was excellent and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Mimi,

Can you tell me what shipper you used? We are using U-Pack.

Thanks,
Frankie

It wasn't UPack, but I will refrain from commenting until all is said and done.   I will say it was one of the companies that contacted me after I filled out the moving form on this forum, so I am hesitant to say too much on the board or at least until this is over, I may discuss it via private message instead.

Understand. Sounds good.

Hi, I read yor expirience shipping a financed car to PR I was wonderind. Once your car got there, how was the process for register the car, did the bank send you the title? Also how did you proff the job part because they have asked us for that too and my husband also receives ss benefits. Im in Boston trying to move back to Aguadilla. Thank you

Probably you need to solve the issue with your bank, so that he issued the appropriate paper for the transfer of the car. A transport company or a customs broker does not care what to send. The main thing is that the cargo was paid for. The question is only in price. One of the lowest in this market can be found here. I do not see other problems

I'm also in a predicament.  I have a financed vehicle that I just purchased a few months ago and the import tax is a ridiculous $20k! It's a tough situation because whether I take it or sell it, I will have to pay a significant amount. PR really makes it difficult to move there.

modliving wrote:

I'm also in a predicament.  I have a financed vehicle that I just purchased a few months ago and the import tax is a ridiculous $20k! It's a tough situation because whether I take it or sell it, I will have to pay a significant amount. PR really makes it difficult to move there.

For tax purposes, PR is another country and all countries want their pound of flesh.
That must be an expensive car to pay 20k in taxes.

Hi!

I know that there are a couple of banks that allow you to take your car from Puerto Rico to the United States. For example PenFed and BCU. Nevertheless I am currently with Banco Popular. I ended up with Banco Popular after the acquisition of Reliable. Bottom line. They do allow take your financed vehicle without paying it off. But they play dumb when you asked. Can anyone tell me the specific procedure used to be able to handle this trough Banco Popular?

I'm considering the same.  Were the taxes in San Juan very expensive?  To receive your vehicle and drive out?  I heard they were...

it is interesting  for me too

Put in your browser "taxation of imported vehicle in puerto rico".
There is a website santandertrade; might be helpful.

ReyP wrote:

That must be an expensive car to pay 20k in taxes.

It depends on a taxation rate. Duty rates can be up to 37.5% depending on a product. I don't know how much is for vehicle.

Actually we thought of doing this when we first moved here and we were told all we needed was a letter from the finance company authorizing it.

Drew777 wrote:

I'm considering the same.  Were the taxes in San Juan very expensive?  To receive your vehicle and drive out?  I heard they were...

You've definitely noticed. It is important to calculate all expenses before purchase.

Does anyone have any luck with shipping your car and furniture to PR? We are looking to move next May.

It's.... IT'S ALIIIIVE... lol, this thread that is. Alright, so when I asked this question it was about 4 years ago and maybe some things have changed. But taxes were astronomical. I don't remember exactly what I paid as that bank statement is long gone, but for a 2006 Dodge Magnum RT with over 100K miles it cost me around $1,200 more or less. Plus the cost of having it shipped to the port, plus the cost of having it shipped to the island from Miami.

I couldn't remember how much stuff cost so I decided to look through my e-mails and OMG it was expensive. So... like I said the taxes were like $1,200 more or less. They said the car was worth about 12K when in reality it was worth like 5. Mine even less because it had a salvaged history. Had to ship it to the port and this cost will vary greatly depending on where you are. I lived in Atlanta at the time so I think I paid about $300 to get it shipped to Miami. Then, Crowley, who I used to ship the car to the island and 3 cars back off just 6 months later... cost me a whopping $1,116. I thought it was like $700 or so but I was wrong. So about $2,600 to ship a car worth about 3K.

I did it because the car was (and still is) dead reliable under my care and I didn't know the island or the culture well enough to buy a car immediately there. I did end up buying two cars while there a Lexus Ls430 and a Lexus LX470. Both super cheap! People there prefer a Corolla over a flagship Lexus, therefore you'll pay more for a Corolla in rough shape with higher miles than you would for a flagship Lexus. It's simple economics. Yeah, one requires premium gas, but to find a Corolla in similar condition would've cost about $3,500 more.

So for shipping I'd recommend using Crowley for cars as they're timely and cost about the same as everyone else. For shipping furniture I'd recommend using ABF/U-pack. You can load it up yourself or hire some loaders. Last time I moved from Atlanta to DC and hired loaders and I just assisted them with the items that were fragile like my wood furniture, glass tables, etc.

Hope this helps!

ReyP wrote:
Frankie1adrian wrote:

Rey,

We are using U-Pack, We have a moving company coming to load the truck for us. They said it will take about 10-12 business days for the shipment to arrive. For the car transport we are using Puerto Rico Car Transport.

Sounds like a winner. When are you moving?

So you recommend buying a car there vs. shipping?

chrishamrick103 wrote:

It's.... IT'S ALIIIIVE... lol, this thread that is. Alright, so when I asked this question it was about 4 years ago and maybe some things have changed. But taxes were astronomical. I don't remember exactly what I paid as that bank statement is long gone, but for a 2006 Dodge Magnum RT with over 100K miles it cost me around $1,200 more or less. Plus the cost of having it shipped to the port, plus the cost of having it shipped to the island from Miami.

I couldn't remember how much stuff cost so I decided to look through my e-mails and OMG it was expensive. So... like I said the taxes were like $1,200 more or less. They said the car was worth about 12K when in reality it was worth like 5. Mine even less because it had a salvaged history. Had to ship it to the port and this cost will vary greatly depending on where you are. I lived in Atlanta at the time so I think I paid about $300 to get it shipped to Miami. Then, Crowley, who I used to ship the car to the island and 3 cars back off just 6 months later... cost me a whopping $1,116. I thought it was like $700 or so but I was wrong. So about $2,600 to ship a car worth about 3K.

I did it because the car was (and still is) dead reliable under my care and I didn't know the island or the culture well enough to buy a car immediately there. I did end up buying two cars while there a Lexus Ls430 and a Lexus LX470. Both super cheap! People there prefer a Corolla over a flagship Lexus, therefore you'll pay more for a Corolla in rough shape with higher miles than you would for a flagship Lexus. It's simple economics. Yeah, one requires premium gas, but to find a Corolla in similar condition would've cost about $3,500 more.

So for shipping I'd recommend using Crowley for cars as they're timely and cost about the same as everyone else. For shipping furniture I'd recommend using ABF/U-pack. You can load it up yourself or hire some loaders. Last time I moved from Atlanta to DC and hired loaders and I just assisted them with the items that were fragile like my wood furniture, glass tables, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply! So you recommend to buy there vs shipping?

It depends on a number of factors. Are you good with cars? Are you familiar with the island? Do you speak Spanish? Are you buying cash or financing?

I wouldn't get so locked in until you KNOW you're staying on the island. So if you have a cheap car that's reliable and paid off I'd probably ship it. Electric cars get a big discount, so it might be wise to buy something else now and ship it.

But if you're working with a small budget of less than 5K I'd say ship what you have. At least you know that car well.