The car

My mind is trying to put everything together way ahead. I'm not planning on moving til next Jan. Since I've lived out of country before I want to get all my ducks lined up ahead of time.

I have a paid for 2002 Ford Focus that I would love to have access to when I am there. BUT I am a chicken on the roads so I don't even know if I'd use it a bunch til I got really used to the new surroundings.

Has anyone else shipped their car down? What was the time frame? What was the cost? I have no idea how this works. Is it worth the hassle? I live in Northern Az so I'd prob have to drive it to some port. Right?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Best to you all,
Dee

Hi Dee -
Since the biggest part of importing a car is the tax, and that is dependent on the type and age of the car, your best bet is to ask this of a shipper.
You can bring in a car either in a container, or as "roll on roll off."
It is certainly cheaper if you get it to the shipping port by yourself.  If you can't do that, they can ship it to the port as well.
You will get different arguments on whether it is worth shipping it.  You can buy a car here for about the same amount as buying/shipping/tax/register/etc a car from elsewhere.  The trade-off is your knowledge of the car's history vs the hassle.
I would recommend you contact these:
- www.lomaser.com; telephone CR 506-2573-8767, cell 506-8878-0042, US direct 727-231-4344, e-mail [email protected]
- http://www.mariobarquero.com
- Charlie Zeller (506) 2258-8747

Julie, You are an absolute doll! Thanks for such a great response. I will check those refs out.

Hope to meet you someday there and treat you to coffee or wine.

I can't wait to start my new adventure!

Best to you,
Dee