Pets in Saudi Arabia

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Saudi Arabia have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Saudi Arabia? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Saudis think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

now she is back with another question from whom pretty detailed info can be collected and them data can be sold to marketing companies........nice, how can i be admin and join your team and do data analysis and sell it then earn more money...........???????????

We have always had pets in KSA since we first came to live and work here in 1979. Our girls love cats and that was the first option. We had many cats and kittens thereafter.

Then came the grand kids and they dived deep into hamsters, tortoises, and rabbits.

The hamsters were the most enjoyable.

Now the girls, grand kids, and pets have all gone to far away places, and we hang on with awesome memories of 37 years in the sands.

Hi,

currently i don't have a pet but i am thinking to adopt a dog but only a Siberian husky if there is.

hello hi how are you ?

Hi
How R  U..?
Nothing Special here ..... :( NO

yes I have one American Tiger  Male  Cate

A dog that is used to sleeping outside in the snow? Really, don't, poor thing will cook in its own fur

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : off topic

Hi All,

yes I brought my Cat from Dubai to here and adopted a second from Riyadh and them after a year and a half send them both to USA where my home is.

it is hard to bring a pet here, but it is not so hard to send them out it seems. there is a process to that but it takes half a day of work.

We took the two cats back to the US in the cabin, so they were with us in the cabin all the way, the problem is the delays when we did the transit in Frankfort airport, they have to take the cats out fom the bags and check the bags and the cats. it takes time but it was not too bad.

BR

Andre

My friends and I actively rescue cats. We can't rescue dogs because we already have cats that will flip out.
Between my 5 friends (all Saudi) and I, we have over 40 cats. I personally adopted/ rescued 5 cats in less than 2 years.
The main challenge is that when we do rescue a cat that needs major medical attention and surgery, it is soooooo expensive. Mainly because we only trust one vet (Carlos at Eurovet in Jeddah) that is more expensive than others.
There are no Saudi vets as far as I know.

There are many Saudi volunteers behind rescue groups, such as Huraira and Soft Paws.

In general, Saudis are generous when we are fundraising to be able to afford surgery for a cat.
But these are the ones that sincerely care about animals and their wellbeing.

Low income Saudi security guards tend to care for street cats.

But of course there are always the mentally nuts that have no problem speeding when they see cats. My friend has seen her street cats get run over twice.

If I could share any advice, it would be to spay/neuter your cats. Pregnancy meds for female cats have horrible side effects like cancer. So if you have both male and female under your roof, definitely get it done or you'll have endless litters and won't know what to do with them.
Also it's less likely that they will try to run away to mate. My mother in law's cat got pregnant because she kept sneaking out and they didn't even realize she was pregnant until later in the pregnancy, so there was no proper medical follow up.

Just one question: I heard that dogs weren't welcome in muslim countries, as they are considered as dirty.

How do people here react with those animals? I read a lot of things about cats and pet rescue teams...

Hi...

I think no issues. You can import pets. I have seen many people walking with their pets in the corniche.
Where you live? I think you should in compounds.
Regards

Yes it is, but no one will say anything if they are in your home.
and it is so popular to have cats and dogs in Riyad, Jeddah. In the big cities.
I live in Alahssa and it is hard to take my dogs out for a walk!

don't ever buy dogs here or cats, there is a lot of pets fr adoption and they need homes here.
people put their pets for adoption when they leave for vocation and this is really sad!
I have two dogs and two cats!
we rescue also so many others.

Hello
Yes I do have 1 cat and she recently gave birth to 3 kittens. I dont really have any idea about importing pets because I got my cat from Saudi Arabia. Some people pref to adopt them and some pref to sell them.

If any one want to adopt beautiful vaccinated Cats can contact to (*) she has Face Book and website Open Jaws. We just adopted one Free a week ago.

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please share contact privately + recommend her in the business directory. Thank you

We planned to bring out cat from Cape Town to KSA.  It is a complex and costly process (around R40 000).  in the end we decided not to do it and just as well as work in KSA can be transitory and one can leave the country sooner than you had planned, thereby incurring more costs to move the pet again.

In the meantime, we have adopted two feral kittens who are beautiful.  Living in an apartment is not great for them but what can you do.  At least their lives were saved and they have a happy, safe home environment.

Vets are few and far between here.  They are expensive and services are basic at best.  Be aware of this.  Until recently, the one we use did not even have a lab, x-ray facility or proper operating facilities!

My advice would be not to bring your pet to Saudi unless there is absolutely no option.

I wonder why you would choose to have a Siberian husky to spend it's life in one of the hottest places in the entire world, when the husky's natural environment is one of the coldest places in the world.  this is a selfish wish where you are only thinking of what you would like to see when you look at your  wished for dog.  You are not thinking at all about the dogs comfort or ability to survive in the heat of Saudi Arabia.  Please re think and if you do get a dog, think of the dog's comfort and how if would be able to adjust to this heat!

Hi , neither i like pets nor i have it . ANd about saudi's they don't like pets - none of my saudi  friend have it . I am living in Saudia from my birth and now i am of 21 years old ' i have seen pets here only twice or thrice ...

honestly most of Saudis unusual to pets.. but I think we can clearly see they start
to care more in pet especially cats in the five past year.

Any of you is living in Alahssa and has four legged babies?!

Brought my dog over During Ramadan
My dog came from the US

I encountersed the following problem

1 the local police station wouldn't give the stamp for the permi to the pet relocation people.My company had to request it

2 it took 5 hours to get thedog through customs. Don't do it during Ramadan

3 the water dish turned over. The dog didn't  get any water for 10 hours ( plane ride and custom clearance)

I would like to speak to people who have brought their dog from the UK to Khobar?

We have a mixed breed dog, what type of papers do they need to have?

thanks

I'll be moving in about 2 months and I'm wondering if anyone has any info or experience with taking bearded dragons to Saudi. What's the process ... if at all possible

I have 2 Siamese cats and would like to bring them with me to Saudi Arabia. Are there any good vets near Dhahran?

My older cat is a seal point Siamese.  My younger cat is a lilac point Siamese.  I want to be sure I can find a good vet in Dhahran or Khobar. 

Need recommendations, please!

Thanks,
Keikosan