Pets in Pakistan

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Pakistan have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Pakistan? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Pakistanis think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

There's a change of trend regarding pets in Pakistan. People are getting more inclined to keep pets as a hobby. It is rather different than the native traditions where keeping animals for company used to be frowned upon in Pakistan, even in more cultured families.

Dr.Akmal Rana has been practicing vet in Islamabad for last 31 years. According to him, “There's a positive improvement in trend of pets in Pakistan on a yearly basis.” When asked about reasons he said, “It's probably because pet owners are receiving proper services for their pets. Thirty to thirty-one years back when I started my practice, there was no veterinary service. The diplomats were told before coming to Pakistan that there's no veterinary services available in Islamabad therefore, consider nottaking your pets to Pakistan. Now there are more vets coming, there's pet food and other services are improving year by year.  Also, people have money to spend on pets.”

When we discussed the availability of pet services with the owner of pet cuisine, a local start up in Islamabad catering to pet food, he said, “People have always been fond of pets. People have always kept pets but in recent times the dog and cat food has been manufactured and gives convenience to the owners. Earlier people had to prepare food for pets now they just have to take it off a shelf and feed the prescribed dosage.”  The pet food and accessories have made it easier for people to keep pets. Other products are also here that help in maintaining the hygiene.

This inclination towards keeping pets is not only because it is easier to keep pets. Pakistan is having a slight cultural change with time due to the emerging concept of westernization. From joint family structures we're moving towards simple family structures with few people therefore, the basic emotional need is fulfilled through pets.

”I feel that with time people are becoming more aware regarding animals and pets. Since life is very fast paced, nobody has time for each other and I feel that pets fulfill this need instead.