Pets in Jordan

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Jordan have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Jordan? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Jordanians think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Hello,
I will be moving to Amman mid 2017 and have many questions regarding bringing my pets. I have a small/medium mixed breed and a larger Shepard, both are well behaved. Primarily, are Jordanians dog 'friendly'. Will my pets be viewed as dirty or intrusive? Are pets allowed at street cafes or events? Are there many off leash wild dogs that pose a threat? Any information is appreciated. I have lived in Europe and South America and found various views and levels of acceptance towards dogs. Thanks!

I would say in general it is not very dog friendly. Of course you may find exceptions.  In my experience, most people do seem to view dogs as dirty. Dogs are not allowed in cafés, etc.  Few people have dogs and the ones that do from what I have seen they do not allow them in the house.  Being an animal lover it is sometimes heartbreaking as it it not uncommon to see adults and children taunting and throwing rocks and such at the many stray cats and dogs here.    It's not everyone and everywhere, but it's not uncommon.  Also, people may be scared of your pet if they come to your house.  My nieces were scared to death of my cat.  We have a ton of stray cats everywhere and some stray dogs as well but not so many dogs if you live in the more populated areas.  I am kind of on the outskirts so there are a few in my neighborhood.  They don't really seem dangerous to humans but I don't know about other pets. Spaying and neutering pets isn't as common as the US either.

Thank you for your reply. It is saddening to see dogs viewed in that way.