Average salary and cost of living in malta

about 14500-15500 euros or thereabouts

normally before - you will have to pay tax and social security contributions - amount of tax dependent on whether single or joint computation

Thanks - that was a quick reply. Just wanted to see, how pension compares to wages.

Cheers - Helger

Can anyone give me the maltese equivalent costs of the following shopping list?
Milk (semi –skimmed UHT, own brand), 1 litre  0.54 €
Loaf  (white, baguette 250g)   0.45 €
Eggs (12, medium) 1.35  €
Chicken breasts (1kg, boneless, skinless)  5.50 €
Apples (1kg, green, Golden Delicious) 1.35 €
Oranges (1kg) 1.39 €
Bananas (1kg) 1.25 €
Potatoes (1kg) 0.92 €
Lettuce (1 head, Iceberg) 0.85 €
Water (1.5 litre bottle) 0.45 €
Domestic Beer (1 litre bottle, Cruzcampo) 1.29 €
Fish  (1kg Salmon steaks) 8.75 €
Toilet rolls (pack of 6, own brand) 1.95 €
Washing powder (Box, 35 washes, Elena brand) 5.94 €
Olive oil (1 litre, extra virgin, own brand) 3€
Coca-Cola (1.5 litre) 1.09 €
Butter (250g, own brand) 0.98 €
Sugar (1kg, white) 0.95 €
It might be a way of assessing the comparative cost of livung between Spain and Malta....??

at a quick scan, its about the same on average (cheaper if you go to Lidl) - vegetable prices vary tremendously during the year

I have noticed that if you become a regular customer in farms , markets , local butcher and fishmonger you are treated very well....that's just after being here for 3 month. It reminds me a lot Sicily

Thanks Georgeingozo - that's very interesting.

Hi everyone,

I will be grateful for a word of advice - I have been offered a possibility to work in Malta with 40K yearly salary. I love the job & the location but I actually make significantly more at this time working for an UK company and I have a family (wife & two girls (both go to elementary school)). From the research I did this amount seems like a lot in Malta but I am still worried if that would be enough to upkeep my family. I have some savings but my question is - is the amount sufficient for "general" day-to-day living, having medical insurance, sending my girls to school and renting a 3-bedroom flat (actually I would be looking to eventually buy not very expensive house/flat after some time - I can probably cover about 20% of the value with my savings but what worries me is if this level of income will allow me to take credit for the rest).

It's a life-changing decision for me :] I would greatly appreciate any comments.

Marcin

karnov wrote:

Hi everyone,

I will be grateful for a word of advice - I have been offered a possibility to work in Malta with 40K yearly salary. I love the job & the location but I actually make significantly more at this time working for an UK company and I have a family (wife & two girls (both go to elementary school)). From the research I did this amount seems like a lot in Malta but I am still worried if that would be enough to upkeep my family. I have some savings but my question is - is the amount sufficient for "general" day-to-day living, having medical insurance, sending my girls to school and renting a 3-bedroom flat (actually I would be looking to eventually buy not very expensive house/flat after some time - I can probably cover about 20% of the value with my savings but what worries me is if this level of income will allow me to take credit for the rest).

It's a life-changing decision for me :] I would greatly appreciate any comments.

Marcin

40K  puts  you in the top 5% of incomes, maybe even top 2%.

its a superb salary for Malta.

Thanks for your quick replies. So I assume the short answer is that me and my family should be good. But... I looked at some school pages and found out the tuition fees are around 7-8K a year  (http://www.verdala.org/). So sending 2 kids to school seems to be very expensive (?) I assume these are private schools and there are also public schools - but do they teach in english as well?

Marcin

Public Schools do teach in English and Maltese.

Your Children would get a great start into Languages

That Salary is an excellent salary.

Hi Marcin,

welcome to the forum.

You should check out previous posts on private schools under 'School & Studies). You will find a lot of comments and tips.

I just updated a link to an article about the cost of various private schools:

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdet … -education

There are several very good private schools that don't charge as much as Verdala.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello to everybody,

Glad to become your forum member...
2 months ago I had been offered a possibility to work in Malta for financial  company. (the position will be middle stage. We have not negotiated of the annual salary yet :), so the living cost is too interesting for me in the country.
Please let me know, as possible, if anybody is informed, approximately how mach is annual wages, for a middle position in a financial company in Malta??
I'm still working for a commercial bank in my country, and now have to make a decision for replacement.
It's a life-changing decision for me, I would greatly appreciate any comments.

Regards,
Alex

Hi Alex,

welcome to the forum.

A 'middle position' is difficult to relate to salary wise but maybe someone with more insight can answer your question.

The most recent survey of jobs and salaries that I know of was published by Reed in  2009 but I think the figures quoted are still fairly correct:

http://www.reedpressoffice.co.uk/docs/M … 202009.pdf

As it seems that you are Georgian and as such non-EU you will find yourself confronted with work permit issues on a yearly basis.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks a lot Ricky, for prompt reply,
Work permit that's inevitable issue, but if a company decide to hire employee, (even if non resident), it gives opportunity, to get special working visa, (including living). may be I am wrong, but think so :)..

Thankfully,
alex

Hi Alex,

yes, your future employer has to apply for your work permit which gives you residency. It is subject to work market conditions in the EU.

The company has to apply for renewal every year but it will only be renewed a max of three times as the authorities avoid non-EU citizens staying legally in Malta for 5 years as this entitles them to permanent residency.

So it would be good if you consider only being able to work and live in Malta for 4 year as part of your plan.

Cheers
Ricky

Maybe by 2016 Georgia will be in the EU, or Malta won't be :-)

Hi George,

Thanks for response :)

Georgia really has a great aspiration for getting in EU :)
But why does Malta feel uncomfortable to be in?? joking....:)

So, I have to evaluate the salary they will offer, I looked through the Malta's salary list approved in 2009, and for an employer in financial sector is between 23k to 30k per Annam.(Gross) so approximately 1630 Euro per month (net). (I don't know the exact salary tax in your country... (for estimation took 15 %, although we have 20% tax in Georgia).
1630 euro  for non resident I think non reliable income :) what would you say???...

Cheers,

alex

Hi Alex,

tax rate would be 25 or 35 % , depending whether you are single or married.

But even so the salary range is still quite good if your company offers you that much. You could survive if you are single. If married with family it might be borderline for an Expat (private schooling ,car and so on).

George alway makes little jokes-))) I think he was suggesting that Malta might have to follow Greece out of the EU by then!

But who knows the future.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks a lot, such friendly replies...

As I remember Malta was the first country who recognized Georgia's Independence in 1989 when announced, Therefore we always respectful for.
Ricky, you think that monthly 1600 Euro is acceptable?? that's great, ...I was scared :) about surviving...
But 25 % income tax is too much.

And where is the tax advantages?? Malta always was famous of it. or i'm wrong...

Cheers,
alex

Hi Alex,

if you are on your own 1600 € net is more than enough. I wish you luck with your negotiations. Don't count your chicks before they hatch though.

You are referring to corporate taxes although a maximum tax of 35 % ist still considered low in Europe. And the tax rate starts at 15 % and climbs to 35 % so your personal tax rate would be somewhere around 20 % depending on your income.

Cheers
Ricky

Georgia really has a great aspiration for getting in EU :)
But why does Malta feel uncomfortable to be in?? joking....:)

as with most things here, half the country believes one thing, and by definition the other half believe the opposite. Actually, I didn't mean Malta leaving by choice, but that it gets kicked out along with the rest of the Med countries

1630 euro  for non resident I think non reliable income :) what would you say???...

if you are working you would be resident not non-resident

and one more question sirs,

why is  Malta considered as the best place for studying English???
Is there some magic?? :)

alex

its a mystery to me as the standard of english being spoken here is not high...even amongst english people...PMSL

It's sunnier than the UK.

Language schools are cheaper than the UK.

It has Paceville ................

Nobody really cares about the standard of English -))))

I guess these are the main reasons.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks, Thanks.... That's thrue

ricky wrote:

Nobody really cares about the standard of English -))))

At least its not American English

there are other reasons - not all language students are 15-25 years old. There is a big market for Asians (Japan, S. Korea, China) coming to Malta to learn English, often in their 40s-60's. They also appreciate the culture and history

morlandg wrote:

Can anyone give me the maltese equivalent costs of the following shopping list?
Milk (semi –skimmed UHT, own brand), 1 litre  0.54 €
Loaf  (white, baguette 250g)   0.45 €
Eggs (12, medium) 1.35  €
Chicken breasts (1kg, boneless, skinless)  5.50 €
Apples (1kg, green, Golden Delicious) 1.35 €
Oranges (1kg) 1.39 €
Bananas (1kg) 1.25 €
Potatoes (1kg) 0.92 €
Lettuce (1 head, Iceberg) 0.85 €
Water (1.5 litre bottle) 0.45 €
Domestic Beer (1 litre bottle, Cruzcampo) 1.29 €
Fish  (1kg Salmon steaks) 8.75 €
Toilet rolls (pack of 6, own brand) 1.95 €
Washing powder (Box, 35 washes, Elena brand) 5.94 €
Olive oil (1 litre, extra virgin, own brand) 3€
Coca-Cola (1.5 litre) 1.09 €
Butter (250g, own brand) 0.98 €
Sugar (1kg, white) 0.95 €
It might be a way of assessing the comparative cost of livung between Spain and Malta....??

You can check this website for prices on groceries.
I will probably use this supermarket when i move to Malta.

http://www.maltasupermarket.com/

id say it was more expensive overall here than spain in terms of groceries....

Hello,
please tell me the only word about climate, about dampness
exactly...

cheers, alex

Lixauri wrote:

Hello,
exactly...

cheers, alex

moist

georgeingozo wrote:
Lixauri wrote:

Hello,
exactly...

cheers, alex

moist

one word answers on a postcard only George

but its certainly true. humid.

Georgia is in subtropical zone and some places are undeniably humid, especially west Georgia, but on coasts you can hardly sense dump, because of permanent breezes... :)
I assume the dampness wouldn't be so uneasy, as Malta is entirely coast... may be I am wrong??

cheers,

alex

Hello,

I've been looking into moving to Malta and was wondering if there is any work for Civil engineers.

Also, what is the tax like in Malta? The country I am living in now is tax free and I'm not sure how severe tax laws can be

hello to everyone,

As all we know, Malta has a large shipping industry. It is a transhipment port and it has a lot of traffic. A large shipping company offered me a great position but we are at the interview level. I was wondering if anyone knows (or can ask to someone how know) which is the average salary in a shipping company for entry level assistant. (caution the salaries in shipping sector really vary from the normal salary- regarding the situation in my country)...

I would appriciate any reply.. thank you! :D

Hi magr,

welcome to the forum.

I register a slight discrepancy in your job description that makes it difficult to associate a particular salary with the job role.

A great position as entry level assistant sounds like a junior level office job. If so the salary would probably be in line with usual Maltese standard average salaries.

If the job is on management level (ie director) the salary would be different.

Please specify the job role as I do know people I can ask.

Cheers
Ricky

hi ricky,

Thank you for replying to my post and for your will to help me out :)... well it's an entry level office job in a large Group of companies name Economicard International Services ltd... I have some questions about you... 1st) What do you know about this company based in Valleta it is founded there since 1977 and it is an "umbrela" company which has a lot of subsidiaries. and 2nd) an entry level salary for a job office is enough to make ends meet? to pay your rent and for your daily cost??

thank you in advance for your investigation :)

Best Regards,
Magr

Hi magr,

a quick research shows that the company has nothing to do with shipping!

What exactly is the role that is being offered to you that would make it interesting to move to Malta from Greece?

The wages in Greece will be higher and also the conditions .

My feeling is that you are being taken for a ride ! But maybe I'm wrong.

Please feel free to ask more questions about your future position.

My guess is that they will offer you 12.000 € / year !

Too much to die but not enough to live off.

Cheers
Ricky

Dear Ricky,

The company has to do with shipping management of malta's ship, ship and yacht registration, financial and legal consulting.
Moreover, here in greece the unemployment among young people between 22-30 is up to 53%... Which means that i have to wait till my country get through the economic crisis and the companies make a new start and hire people at an entry level like me... that's means 1-5 years the best senario...!! so a career opportunity in malta wouldn't be better? at least there is a position offering for me whilst in athens there is a lot of unemployment...!!!

I will ask about my major duties in the position offered and the salary per month... What else should i ask?