Average salary and cost of living in malta

According to the online stats 17,000 euros

For a dental assistant qualified? I work in a private practice or would I be better to work in the hospitals?

Thats the average Maltese salary....salaries are much lower than the UK ! I have a Maltese friend who is a teacher in a Private school with 20 years experience, her take home pay is 1,500 per month, if that gives you any indication. Maybe check this link too

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/malta/wages

Hello everyone,

I have couple of questions i hope someone can help me

I just found a job in gaming industries (customer support service) they offer me 24k in a year

1-Im married and i have 4 months baby but if i accept to positions i will come alone but i have to send them at least 600-700 euro in a month so after that i have 800-900 euro is it enough to live to rent a room and living economic?
2- im really a hardworking my goal is getting promotion and earn much more money and maybe live with my family in malta . Can i get promotion in this endustries how much my salary can be the difference?

As you know its a life-changing decision for us i hope you ll help me :)

Chuck09 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have couple of questions i hope someone can help me

I just found a job in gaming industries (customer support service) they offer me 24k in a year

1-Im married and i have 4 months baby but if i accept to positions i will come alone but i have to send them at least 600-700 euro in a month so after that i have 800-900 euro is it enough to live to rent a room and living economic?
2- im really a hardworking my goal is getting promotion and earn much more money and maybe live with my family in malta . Can i get promotion in this endustries how much my salary can be the difference?

As you know its a life-changing decision for us i hope you ll help me :)

@Chuck09.

In view of the fact that you are a Non-EU citizen, please see the following:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 84#3527626

Dear Fionn thanks for your reply i forgot to say im eu citizen btw

Difficult to tell if you'll get promoted but it will depend on i) how you perform in your first position, ii) your previous work experience, iii) your skills & qualifications.

Thanks for your reply lambada

HSBC is paying 16300 btw with health insurance, life insurance and a gym. So it's not amazing pay. I'm looking for something to come up in the betting industry as I saw a similar job there for 25,000....though it was in Portuguese (and I do speak Portuguese but they probably wouldn't take a Brit for Portuguese).

Hi everyone,

Could you kindly let me know the pay range for Big4 audit manager with 7 years of experience?

Had an interview and felt like i've said too low at Eur30,000. =/

check these sites
https://www.castilleresources.com/en/homehttp://www.archer.com.mt/resources/sala … uary-2017/

There is nothing such as a "typical" salary for a specific position.
It's always a question of the individual company and mainly based on the responsibilities, skills and qualifications necessary for this position - not your personal qualifications !

General Customer Service (telephone, email, chat) starts at 14k and goes up to 25k (with night shifts). For the same duties you can earn much more with certain languages. Salary as Quality Manager ranges from 25k up to 90k. Engineers with experience can get 20k or 50k per year. IT professionals may find 35k on their hand or much more or less depending on the skills requirements and working conditions (stress levels  :P ).

Salary is not based on what you can offer, it's what the position requires.
If you think you can do more, find another job ... provided there's a necessity for your qualifications ...

Hello!

I am a currently in my final university year and have been offered a web developer position which pays (about) 30k Euro a year after takes. I would like to ask you if I can manage life expenses (rent, utilities, groceries, etc) and still be able to save up a decent amount. I will be living on my own and I don't have a problem sharing the apartment with someone. Won't really be going out much and, as I've seen in some posts, shopping at Lidl won't be a problem, since they are well known in my country as well (Romania).

Also, how fair is the salary offer considering that I have almost 3 years of experience and am quite good in what I do.  :)

Best regards,
Alex

Hi Alex,

Just to make something clear. Did they offer you 30K gross or 30K NET? Usually when they are making an offer here in Malta it's always gross.

For the sake of the conversation let's say it is 30K per year NET (after taxes),that would give you 2,500 per month for you to spend.

Renting alone is definetely more expensive and the region of 600euros a month (Depending where are you going to stay), now if you would like to share estimate something at around 350-400 including the bills. Besides that, there are no other big expenses here like health care, rental taxation and other.

So, I would say you can pretty much have a very decent life here in Malta and also you will be able to save.

Now, you mentioned that you are on your final year of the University but you already have 3 years of  commercial experience working as a developer? In that case the offer is quite reasonable and within what the market offers. If it's 30K NET then its more on the high end.

I am not sure if I answered your questions, but if you need anything else, feel free.

Cheers,

ALso depends on the area you wish to live and work, it varies in terms of rent and living costs very much across the island

@DudeInNL @Michelle

Hello and thank you for your responses. :)

Yes, I am talking about net salary and that's going to be around 2.1k - 2.7k (it'll be decided after the interview) so I just went ahead and said 2.5k to have a round amount, I had thought about spending 1k a month for life expenses, but as I've said, there won't be a problem living with someone else if I can find them. :P

I don't know the exact location where the company is yet, so I can't say an area in which I'd like to rent a room. All I can say is that I'd like to get there in under 30-45 minutes. :D

The position is of junior developer, but since this year's winter I'll already have the 3 years required for the middle position, I assume there might be raise somewhere next year or so, but anyway, from your response I can say I won't be having a problem even as it is.

Thank you again for your time.

Cheers,
Alex

"have been offered a web developer position " ... "around 2.1k - 2.7k (it'll be decided after the interview)"

Are you counting your chickens before they hatch?

Hi Alex,

In that case, if they are offering 30K NET for a junior position it is way above the average for a web developer. Usually for a junior level (1-2yrs) developers looking at anything between 23K-28K and for middle level 3-5 years they are looking at 30K-35K always GROSS. So, I would say that the offer is pretty much on the high end.

Also, yes, there is an annual salary review.

Which technologies are you experienced with?

Also, since you want to live somewhere where it doesn't take you more than 40 minutes to go to work you will have many options to find a place to stay.

So, to understand something. Did they make you an offer, or are you still in the interview stages?

Cheers,

@DudeInNL

Hello!

I had 2 interviews and they seemed pretty pleased with me. However,  since at that time, there were still about 5 months until graduation, we decided it was best to wait a couple of months and contact them again when I'm closer to the said date, to fix other details and such. So I will most likely have another interview mid-May or somewhere around that time.

In other words, I haven't signed anything, but the chances are pretty high in my opinion, so I just wanted to go ahead and check how life would work out if I were to be accepted in the end. :)

As for web development technologies, regarding frontend, I have great experience with the AngularJS framework and also some decent experience with Angular 2 (this one I'm currently learning for future use), and ,regarding backend, I have worked with Laravel (PHP), Pyramid (Python) and some NodeJS (only a little for personal projects). I've also worked with packet managers such as npm and bower, task runners such as Grunt, Gulp and Webpack (this I'm currently using) and I'm well accustomed to how Git works.

Aside of those, I've done some projects in Android (my license project being an Android app), Windows Phone, can handle, to some extent, Java, Go (had to do a small application for distributed systems) and C# (made a few games in Unity, only one is still published in the Play Store).

Best regards,
Alex

@volcane

Hi. :) Maybe that's what it is, but it's better to be prepared ahead of time than blindly do stuff and regret it later. :P That's my opinion at least. :)

So, did they offer you?

Hello, I will have an interview for a job as a leader/supervisor for electrical installation team.
What sallary I must "expect"?
The company offers me the job is in Qormi, what is the average price to rent 1 bedroom apartment?

Thank you,
Dennis

dionso wrote:

Hello, I will have an interview for a job as a leader/supervisor for electrical installation team.
What sallary I must "expect"?
The company offers me the job is in Qormi, what is the average price to rent 1 bedroom apartment?

Thank you,
Dennis

Hello Dennis,

First of all, good luck with your interview. For this role you should be looking at around 30K per year. That is 30,000 Gross per year.

Since you are going to be located in Qormi, there are some affordable options. There are not many 1 bedroom flats in those areas as they are more family houses. In any case, I don't believe you will be able to find anything less than 550 euros per month (fully furnished). It could be 1bedroom, or 2 bedroom. Then you should include internet (25-30eur per month, and utility bills around 60-70 eur per month). Then probably you gonna need a monthly travel pass which is 25eur.

Other than that, there are no other monthly expenses besides your groceries, and your days/nights out.

It's definitely good to live close to your work, but as a new person in Malta you might want to rent somewhere where is more life and people and closer to the "actions" let's put it that way. At least for the beginning till you find yourself around the island. Places like Msida, or Gzira would still give you good options in terms of buses to Qormi.

If you need anything else, feel free.

Cheers,

Did you get the offer at the end?

noomercy235 wrote:

@DudeInNL

Hello!

I had 2 interviews and they seemed pretty pleased with me. However,  since at that time, there were still about 5 months until graduation, we decided it was best to wait a couple of months and contact them again when I'm closer to the said date, to fix other details and such. So I will most likely have another interview mid-May or somewhere around that time.

In other words, I haven't signed anything, but the chances are pretty high in my opinion, so I just wanted to go ahead and check how life would work out if I were to be accepted in the end. :)

As for web development technologies, regarding frontend, I have great experience with the AngularJS framework and also some decent experience with Angular 2 (this one I'm currently learning for future use), and ,regarding backend, I have worked with Laravel (PHP), Pyramid (Python) and some NodeJS (only a little for personal projects). I've also worked with packet managers such as npm and bower, task runners such as Grunt, Gulp and Webpack (this I'm currently using) and I'm well accustomed to how Git works.

Aside of those, I've done some projects in Android (my license project being an Android app), Windows Phone, can handle, to some extent, Java, Go (had to do a small application for distributed systems) and C# (made a few games in Unity, only one is still published in the Play Store).

Best regards,
Alex

@volcane

Hi. :) Maybe that's what it is, but it's better to be prepared ahead of time than blindly do stuff and regret it later. :P That's my opinion at least. :)

I would assume no as someone else asked the question earlier and did not have a reply.

Dear "student in Malta",

when you say 30.000 gross you mean 24-25000 net? what is the distance and how long it takes for example to go from Gzira to Qormi by the bus?
The offer I have is 15000 to 18000 euro net. According to the salary you say it has a distance..

Best regards.

@Dionso

You can use the maltasalary.com.mt where you can calculate the 30K gross. 30K gross translates to aprox. 23K NET.

That is an estimate I have, and is not set in stone as some companies pay more and some less. All depends on the requirements and responsibilities of the role.

It depends where in Qormi is your business located. It could take you 20mins or it could take you 35mins by bus, or sometimes you would have to walk from the busstop to work.

I would say that it's more important to have a good connection for the bus than the distance itself. If you live close by a good bus connection might be better even if you live further away than living close by somewhere but not a good bus connection.

I am not sure if I understood well about your offer. Did they offer you 18,000 euros per year NET? It doesn't sound bad salary for Malta if you are one person but my PERSONAL opinion is that is not that high for a lead/supervisor role. Yet, it sounds like a good start.

Again, you might want to take that offer, get familiar with Malta see how things are and then you can start looking for another role.

Regarding accommodation, I would suggest you to live in a shared flat for the first few months which will cost you anything between 250-350 euros a month. Like that, you will meet some new people, you are not necessarily bound by a contract and you can move out relatively easy.

Dear "Student in Malta"

thank you very much for your answers. It helps alot.

@Student_In_Malta and @DudeInNL

No, I did not have the interview yet. I will schedule it in the following 2 weeks and reply when I'll get the answer from them.

Hello, I apply in present for a job in Malta, and in case of moving there, I wonder how can I consider traveling by bike on the island, from home to job and back, or anywhere else...

nick57 wrote:

Hello, I apply in present for a job in Malta, and in case of moving there, I wonder how can I consider traveling by bike on the island, from home to job and back, or anywhere else...

Hi Nick, commuting by bicycle is not that popular here. The infrastructure (road, access points, etc) is not welcoming for bikes, plus the hot weather and the hills make it harder. However, the past year we have seen an increasing number of people who are using their bikes hoping to change the general perception of bicycle commuting here in Malta. In fact many localities, have installed stalls with municipal bikes for tourists and residents to use using an app. It seeps popular enough.

Anyway, to go to the point. It depends where is your work going to be and where are you going to live. In some areas is not that bad to take your bike to go to work, but it's kind of far, i am not sure if it would be feasible.

I hope it helps.

Hello,
I have a question. I got an internship in Malta. I am going to work in St. Julian's but the salary is rather symbolic (205 gross per week, so it gives around 800 nett per month). Is it possible to live in Malta for that much of money? I don't expect too much from it, I am planning to rent a room for around 300 and spend the rest for basic needs.

@absolutedarling

If you manage to find something at 300 for accommodation and if you stay tight you will be able to get by with 800eur NET per month.

You might have to consider San Gwan, or other areas which are cheaper for rent and not far from St Julians.

Thank you! I hope I am gonna manage it well.

Thanks for the Info regarding bike riding. Can you recommend some locations close to Msida, where room rental could be cheaper? I would like to find something cheap, no more than 300 €.

@Nick57

With thorough search you might be able to find a room with 300eur in Msida. It might take you some time though.

However, possible cheaper alternatives would be Swatar, Hamrun, Gwardamanġa area.

Just keep being active in searching for rooms and I am sure something will come up.

Good luck.

Hello Everybody

I have a question, but perhaps first a little bit about myself- I'm of Polish origin, but I've lived in London for last 13 years. We are family of 4 with 2 lovely daughters (2&7)
As I'm fed up with constant rat race, endless commuting meaning quite often a 12 hour working day, we are actively preparing to relocate to Malta (Gozo to be more precise).
I will be getting income there from renting out two properties in London. It's not a fortune, but I hope 1600 euros will be enough for a simple life on Gozo.
The question I have is:
Will I be entitled to public services, since I won't be paying taxes in Malta? (my income will be taxed in Uk, so I hope I won't have to pay it twice :-)
I will have to send my daughters to school  and I don't think we could afford private education. Is there some sort of National Contribution Tax I could pay voluntarily?
I'd really appreciate any help.

Janusz

Nick57
Check out Bicycling Advocacy Group Malta on Facebook. There are some young Maltese who commute everywhere and one guy in particular who has extensive knowledge of routes; he can give you maps he's made as well. It's only too hot between June-Sept in my opinion, and I really dislike heat so for others that might not even be too bad, depending on the day. If you're fit the hills are manageable too. Biking here sure makes life more pleasant!

Hello everyone,

i would like to move in Malta with my husband, but i am not sure is that good idea, we are living in Germany for 2 years and it's not bad, but we need more sun :D
He is making ALU and PVC windows and have 15 yrs of experience.I have degree in communications (PR) but no work experience, also i am making websites..
So what do you think, should we stay in Germany or ....

Help us  :gloria

Cleo91 wrote:

Hello everyone,

i would like to move in Malta with my husband, but i am not sure is that good idea, we are living in Germany for 2 years and it's not bad, but we need more sun :D
He is making ALU and PVC windows and have 15 yrs of experience.I have degree in communications (PR) but no work experience, also i am making websites..
So what do you think, should we stay in Germany or ....

Help us  :gloria

Only you can decide, have you been here on holiday?  if not come for a week or so and that will help you decide.

We are planning to come next summer, i know we need to decide but i am asking myself is that a right choice.
I know that Germany is strong country, and you can earn much more money than in Malta but here is too dark.Darkness in every way  :o

The question is can we find job there in our field