Pets in Germany

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Germany have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Germany? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Germans think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Personally I'm a dog lover, and miss having one now I'm in Berlin. However, I'm from the countryside so I don't think I could get used to having a dog in a big city - I'd want it to run as free as possible! I also find that city dwelling dogs are more apathetic about people, whereas I'm used to a sort of rural environment where people greet each other on walks, make of a fuss of eachother's dogs, etc. I assume it must be different in rural Germany!

Yes ,I have a dog. I got him by perusing breeders on Internet. I think that Germans are fine with pet owners  if they are responsible people. Letting your dog run wild,not cleaning up after it or allowing endless barking are some of the things that lead to complaints.

Hello Priscilla,

I did bring my dog here from UK when I first came here.  Animals must have the necessary jabs, there are 3 different ones, which cover the usual legal necessities when taking a pet into any another European country.  When one takes the pet to the vet before leaving the country, the vets know all the usual requirements. It is better to take it to vet, at least 6 weeks before leaving UK, to find out when they should be given. There is no problem really, as long as one goes to the vet and gets the necessary jabs.
I must say, I do not know how it is when taking the pet into another country outside the European Union.

Hi! I brought my pug from the US to Germany. It was super easy as long as you don't want until the last minute to talk to your vet.

If you want more details, check out my blog where I wrote a few articles on the subject:

Www.adventuresoflamari.con

There is a lot of information on this subject on this thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 04#3345767