Pets in Croatia

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Croatia have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Croatia? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Croatians think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Croats love dogs and cats. not sure about what you mean by unusual pets though. We brought our Rhodesian Ridgeback dog from Sweden without any problems she just need a valid passport all vaccination shots up to date to enter they inspect her on the border and that was it. Same will be for any animals coming from outside the EU. Valid passport and documentation of the animal and all vaccines required to enter be up to date.

One of my reasons for moving from Hungary to Croatia was the different attitude to dogs. In my tiny village in Croatia most of the dogs are kept as pets and a lot of them are free to wander around the village. In my village in Hungary, most dogs are kept as security guards, chained up and given minimal attention. In Hungary I am  the only person in the village who takes a dog for a walk. Charlie, my elderly Basset Hound, does not enjoy the best of heath these days so I have had to take him to the vet in Croatia a few times. The vet charges seem very reasonable compared to what my friends and relatives in UK are paying.