Open a business branch in kenya

hi all,
i have a business in the uk and would like to open a branch in nairobi with the prospect of me and my family moving out there. what are the legal obligations? visa and opening a branch? it is an event management company? please advice? many thanks!

hi - sent me an email [email protected] and I'll help you out.
I work with expats, and retired british army personnel in helping them set up business in Kenya

Good idea, Kenya is a place to start a business. Good luck

hii iwas employed by a norway company as a secretary n since they knew nothing in kenya ihelped them register theirr company all legal issues and showed them how to get business here.I can give u tha directors contacts for reference to show u that I can do all u need ie legalise ua company,get work permits for you, show u where toget anything u need in kenya.the company closed fue to lack of funds from donors hence I am free
I can send u my cv and ihave worked alot with ngos and as your employee I will even prepare an office for you if youconsider me.contact me through my email [email protected].  thankyou karen elizabeth

i love businessing and business models.
here is for you to consider.

business locations in nairobi depend on what business kind you are into and that can be tricky... heavy equipment best location industrial area, medical best location parklands or around Kenyatta National Hospitall all the way to yaya cental (medical plaza if you can get space), computers city centre jamia seeds kijabe street, classy something try muthaiga,karen etc

rents are diffrent as moon is earth is from sky.

there are other dynamics.employment rates,registration of trademarks, work permits etc. tell me what you are into and you can get a feel of what to expect

if you thinking of city centre, parking rates from city council are right now astronomical not to mention there inst any parking space to begin with!

here my email. [email protected]

sure i will help you.like i expect when i vist your country soon for a holiday. i love those holidays.

peter

Hello Teryy,
Im a virtual assistant and part of my work is to help my clients/bosses to find the right legal assistance. One of my bosses is a legal counsel who could be very helpful in helping you work on the legal requirements of setting up a branch of your business.
Please drop me an email if you want me to be of help, then I can connect you with this lawyer.

An event Management Company, like any other business will call for a number of considerations like;
1. Right location (security, proximity to clients, rent etc)
2. Legal compliance (this is where this lawyer comes in)
3. Right people to work with
4. Publicity (networking may play a mighty role here)

Let me know if you want us to work together. Will be honored to be of help.

Naomy

Hello,

It is illegal to work in Kenya, paid or unpaid, without government consent.  Basically, you must apply for a work permit. This can be applied for via the Kenya High Commission, or in Kenya and you need to fill in an application form, provide copies of your passport, statements to evidence your assets ($100,000 cash, or company accounts), two passport pictures, copy of your company registration and articles of association.  A supporting letter is also required, to identify what your business activities will involve and how this will be of benefit to Kenya (this is crucial).  I understand that in total, you may need to pay around Kes 150 000 for the visa and insurance (thats what I have been told).

The application takes 3 months or so.  It is important to get it absolutely right, first time, as if it is rejected and you have to appeal, it is much much tougher.  It is therefore useful to know a lawyer, or agent, who has experience of working with Immigration and can advise you.

What is the nature of your business?  If you are in the medical field, you need to register with the state, and one of the directors must be a practitioner in the relevant field.  State registration involves an internship.  If you are in Tourism, you will need to register with the Ministry of Tourism prior to your work permit application.

I recently went through the application process, but decided not to persue, due to barriers thrown up.  My Wife and I have registered a company in Kenya, but my Wife is Kenyan, which makes things easier.  We have a good lawyer and process was very straight forward.  It cost about Kes 35,000.  You have to register with Kenya Revenue Authority and will get a PIN for tax purposes. 

Good luck.