School for 2-year old in Brussels

Hello everyone,

I live in Lisbon and I am planning to move to Brussels at the beggining of next year. I have a 2 year-old child and finding an excellent and trustful school is my first priority. Can anyone help me? I feel kind of lost. Should I focus on public or private or both? What schools in particular? I would prefer a bilingual teaching (english/french), but the school staff has to be confortable with taking care of a child that does not know any of these languages so far. I have no restrictions concerning the area.

Thank you in advance!

Joana

All bilingual schools are private in Belgium. Don't confuse these with French immersion schools in the public system. Cost between 10-30k.

The population of Brussels is around 50% non Belgium, it means it is not unusual to find 40% of children in public French schools speak another language at home. This is comparable to the private French-English bilingual schools where many children do not speak French or English at home. They are very used to children who do not speak the school language.

You find few Belgians in the private school system, mainly internationals so you will find many of the bilingual schools with few or no French speakers in classes so choose wisely if this is your route.

Public school starts at 2.5 and is free in the main, you pay for before and after school child care (typical 7.30-18.00/30), hot lunches, trips, swimming, some materials. School for a 2.5 year old in French is called maternelle 2.5-6 years and that my be incorporated into a school to age 12 called fondamentale.

Brussels has a fast growing population and some areas have schools at capacity, so getting a school place in certain areas is very hard.

Easier places to look for schools in Brussels region :
south Uccle, Woluwe-St-Lambert, Woluwe-St-Pierre, Watermael-Boitsfort, Auderghem.

Just outside Brussels region (must live in any of these municipalities) :
Kraainem, Wezembeek, Rhode-St-Genese, Drogenbos, Linkebeek, Wemmel.

This map is a bit out of date, but contains nearly all public maternelles in Brussels region.
https://batchgeo.com/map/1f1bf2b3b6e4ad … a57d56a826

This map contains all private schools including French-English bilinguals.
http://batchgeo.com/map/0777fe5f939fe09 … 91ceee1066

Hi Joana,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to have a look at the topics in the Schools & studies in Brussels section, you might find some relevant information.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers: