Close

Recommendation on Spanish

I can not help but recommend this course in Spanish, my wife uses it and she has learned a lot. While I do speak Spanish, she does not let me correct her or help her in any way. I am very proud of her growing Spanish.

The course is conversational, to get you up to speed quickly in all sorts of situations. But it is not just spoken Spanish, you also learn how to write and read it.

This is my recommendation:
https://www.amazon.com/Fluenz-Spanish-A … rds=fluenz

It is 5 DVDs each with about 30 lessons each, so go over each lesson many times until it becomes second nature. You can get the DVD's or download the content to your computer (Mac and Windows), also you can carry it with you on your iPhone or Android

I wish a similar course existed when I was trying to learn English over 40 years ago. Set aside 30 minutes or an hour a day and you will be well prepared for a lot of situations in no time.

PS. She has used Duelingo before but abandoned it after trying Fluentz.

Rey

Thanks Rey, the more resources the better.

I've been using many, many resources to help me learn Spanish. Duolingo, English Transfer, reading articles and translating them, taking private lessons and carrying around index cards with vocabulary, phrases and verb conjunctions. Currently I'm watching a children's animation series "Canciones de la granja" on Netflix and translating as I watch. I like it because it's repeats verses so they get ingrained quickly.

I've been doing this for about 2 and 1/2 years now, and I'm extremely frustrated that I still can't understand a lot of what people are saying to me. I get the gist most of the time but I'm not fully comprehending. I focus so hard to the point of almost getting a headache.

A couple of days ago my g/f and I had to go to immigration to renew our work visas here in Rosario, Argentina. We always see a bunch of Mormons from the states there on their mission, also renewing their visas. This time we struck up a conversation with them as they overheard us talking in English and inquired as to why we were in Argentina.

There were four of them and three of them had only been in Argentina for about 4 months and said they didn't know Spanish but were studying. One of them started talking to my Puerto Rican g/f in Spanish about their mission and the words flowed out like he had been studying for years. I was impressed but jealous and dumbfounded. All I could think of is what the heck I'm doing wrong that I've been diligent in my studies yet he already seems more competent then me!!! Maybe some of it has to do that he's in his early 20s and I'm in my late 40s.

So I'm going to keep at it harder than ever. I'm hoping to find some combination that will switch on the light in my brain. It almost seems like an impossible task for me to be fluent but I'm still going to try. I have 7 more months until I'm in PR and I want to be semi-fluent by the time I arrive.

Try that course, they explain everything, as to age my wife is 57 and she is getting it. One of the problems people have is the gender of words like La Casa, versus El Casa. In English it is just The, no gender. Also the order of words can cause problems. As a general rule think of it as the subject, are you referring to the green of the house or the house that happens to be green.
Try the course, not cheap but well worth it.

By the way I admire Argentina Spanish, it is very close to Spain Spanish, I find it more musical.

Some of the problems you face could be the speed at which people speak since you are translating. After many years in the US I learned to think in the language being used and not try to translate.

Also local words and word mangling used to speak faster, like the word "can" as I can, in Spanish it would be Puedo as in Yo Puedo, but in PR we drop the D and instead say "Pueo"

When I first moved to the US I started reading books in English on subjects that interested me. I used a dictionary when I could not figured it out.
I also used to read the dictionary cover to cover to gain additional words. During the two years I was in Germany I watched a lot of German commercials, they were funny for the most part and the naked women getting out of the tub in the commercials were a bonus. :D

Youtube is a great place to supplement the language programs you may be using while watching a topic you are interested in. I love cooking videos and videos about Puerto Rico so I search for those videos to learn about cooking and also to hear a native speak the language. I live in California so the Spanish I hear most are native speakers of Mexico. While it helps me learn Spanish, I know that Puerto Rican Spanish is different and listening to them on Youtube helps me pick out words and say them correctly for PR. Good luck!

Expatriate health insurance in Puerto Rico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Puerto Rico

Moving to Puerto Rico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Puerto Rico

Travel insurance in Puerto Rico

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Puerto Rico

Flights to Puerto Rico

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Puerto Rico