Short-term inexpensive phone device

My daughter and I will be in PV for 3-4 weeks.   I do not have a smartphone.   My daughter does have an IPhone so we are good with that for both local and out-of-country calling.   However, I will need to get something inexpensive with limited minutes/ texting so that I can stay in touch with her during times when we are separated.
Suggestions?  :)    Who to talk to and what kind of electronic store to visit?   

Thanks!
Arlene

I'm not sure what to suggest.
Surely you could buy international roaming for both phones.
Or you could get low priced Mexican phones  and unlimited text and calling within Mexico and to the US or Canada for about 130 to 150 dollars for both.

Check with you carriers in the US what the cost of international roaming would be for each of your current phones.  If I don't miss my guess calls withing Mexico would be charged at international rates.

In Mexico, Sanborns, Liverpool, Sams and Costco all sell cellphones.  Some of the smaller chain department stores like Coppell and Famsa also sell cellphones.  The advantage there is you'll be able to shop several service providers.  PV has a Costco and Liverpool for sure.

My phone will not work outside of the US.   I'm just leaving it at home.   It's a real oldie.   We will use my daughter's phone for general calling within or outside of Mexico.   She will switch to an international plan for one month with Verizon, her carrier.   All is set there.

But I still need to get some device that'll allow ME to call HER when we are separated.   Maybe a Telcel store or such?   Didn't want to spend more than $25 US as I will just need it to contact her and no one else.

I would suggest since you will be in PV, go to the main Telcel office (not the rénale strores) next to the Walmart in the galeria Liverpool (in front of the Cruise bouts marina easy by local bus service)  and get one of the cheap phone cost by second. I got mine 3 years ago for 199$ and got 200$ pesos of air time. Still have it and the cost per second is 0,0142$ pesos any where in Mexico, the US or Canada. Good luck.

GyC

The Web site. Www.telcel.com. GyC

$199 American dollars??   I just need something for three weeks for short calls to/from my daughter also in Mexico.

rubytue60 wrote:

$199 American dollars??   I just need something for three weeks for short calls to/from my daughter also in Mexico.

You can get a phone at Telcel or Sears or Telmex according to this page for as little as 1000 pesos.
Unlimited calling for as little as 30 pesos.  57 to 60 dollars.
http://www.claroshop.com/tienda/2626/am … 1&o=pa
The thing to be clear about is you only want prepaid not rental plan.

Yes!  Pre-paid, no rental.   $60 USD still seems like a lot to spend.   I would be okay with limited talk/text.   I'll check with them on their cheapest phone and limited min/text.

rubytue60 wrote:

Yes!  Pre-paid, no rental.   $60 USD still seems like a lot to spend.   I would be okay with limited talk/text.   I'll check with them on their cheapest phone and limited min/text.

30 pesos for unlimited talk/text is $1.67USD.  The prices of the phones themselves are quite competitive.

Ah, I see.  Thank you.    As we speak, the Dow has fallen..... this election is going to Trump and God knows what we are in for!     I'm curious to know what expats are saying about all this and what many of you have communicated with the Mexican people.    But this is a topic that should go into another category and not phone choices!

rubytue60 wrote:

No, I always quote the local currency. That is 199$ MXN  (mexican pesos) it is not a smartphone but a  Nokia they also have other brands. This is a prepaid service, the majority of Mexican have those because they can't afford monthly plans. When you buy prepay for 100$ pesos or more it is valid for 60 days, 100 pesos gives the equivalent of about 117 minutes of calls to the USA, Canada or Mexico. Good luck again. GyC.

Perfect!   Thank you.