Round trip airfare ticket to Philippines required?

It's been a long time since I traveled to the Philippines so I need to know if the immigration authorities in the Philippines would require me to produce a return ticket when I get there.   Here's a possible scenario:  I am not sure yet (until I arrive in Manila) what type of visa I can get.  My brother recently traveled to Manila and he simply showed his U.S. Passport and told the agent he would like to have a one-year Balik-bayan visa.  He spoke to the agent in Tagalog....and told him he was born in Manila....which is what's shown on his passport...and the immigration agent promptly stamped the one-year visa on his passport.
   I plan to do the same thing...and my U.S. Passport shows I was born in Manila.  If that doesn't work, the usual 1 month visa will do, of course.  Now...do I buy a round trip ticket?  Would I be required to show that I have a return ticket?    Can I travel to the Philippines without a return ticket?   If, say the agent grants me a Balikbayan visa...but my round trip ticket is good only for one month's stay?  I know I can change my return ticket for a later one...but doesn't the airline always charge extra to change the ticket with a later travel date?  How do you guys do it?  Thanks for your help.

Hello.

If you have all requirements for Balikbayan visa, round trip ticket is no longer required.

Kind Regards,
Edin

If you do not have all requirements for Balikbayan visa, you can apply for tourist visa. In that case, you must have ticket for other destination. It can be cheap ticket to Singapore or Vietnam. Round trip ticket is not necessary.

That's good to know.   Hopefully they don't ask me for my naturalization document...because I don't have one.  Although I was born in the Philippines...I was never naturalized.  When it was time for me and my siblings to leave for the U.S. we simply applied for our U.S. passports from the U.S. Embassy in Manila.   I'm hoping they won't ask for them.    I'll try to get my Balikbayan visa from the Philippine Consulate here this way I'll know for sure I got it before getting there.  Thanks...very helpful info to know.

Sounds like a solution....let's see how it works.  I buy a one way ticket to Manila...with an ongoing exit ticket to Singapore or Vietnam.  You called it cheap ticket?  How cheap?  But it still cost me to buy the ticket right?  I read in one Expat forum advising someone to just toss the ticket away after the visa extension is granted.  It must really be cheap.   I really don't know how this works.   I really have to learn about the secret ways of the Expats.   I think I'll just get the proper visa at the Consulate before I leave.

You can find tickets to Taiwan for only $25, Singapore or Vietnam $50. It can save you a lot of headache :)

That is cheap!   Or Guam...have some friends I've been wanting to visit there.   And it's a U.S. Territory so I can stay there indefinitely.

My Norwegian husband is coming to celebrate Christmas here in the Philippines, does BI  Manila would ask him for a return ticket? He is married to me, a Filipino citizen. Just wondering if there's any benefit in terms of how long he can stay here.

For Australian's PAL airlines will not let you board when you are departing Australia if you do not have an outbound ticket.  Hence when I arrive I am very, very rarely ask to show an outbound ticket.

To Lady-Diver:   My understanding is that a foreign national married to a Filipino citizen is entitled to join his Filipino spouse in the Philippines for either a visit or to stay indefinitely.   Just like my sister is a dual citizen (Filipino-American)  and has a Philippine passport.  When she visits the Philippines and takes her husband (an American) with her, he is entitled to get a visa that allows him to remain in the Philippines as long she does.  I'm not sure how it works since you are in the Philippines and he is planning to join you.  Best consult with BI for clarification.   This matter concerns me as well because I am traveling to the Philippines either on Balikbayan visa or as dual citizen....and later, my wife (American) will join me.  But if any of fellow expats experienced or knowledgeable on this matter, please jump in.  If you, a citizen of another country (other than the Philippines) is married to a Filipina citizen...and you want to join her in the Philippines, what type of Philippine visa will be granted to you...that is, say you want stay indefinitely?

Lady-Diver:  Sorry I forget to mention the subject of return airfare ticket.  Again, as I understand it, a return ticket is not required for those traveling on Balik-bayan visa (or have dual citizenship).  Question is, would the foreign spouse of a Filipina citizen also be entitled to the same travel entitlement and therefore also...does not have to show a return ticket?

lady_diver wrote:

My Norwegian husband is coming to celebrate Christmas here in the Philippines, does BI  Manila would ask him for a return ticket? He is married to me, a Filipino citizen. Just wondering if there's any benefit in terms of how long he can stay here.

Hi Lady Driver,

I'm wondering where you and your husband got married, in the Philippines or in Norway? I asked one of our consultant with regards to your husband's situation, she said that if he is entering alone, he can stay for 30 days and a return ticket is required since he is considered a tourist. But if you are entering the country with him, he can be issued with Balikbayan visa meaning he can stay for a year. If he wants to apply for a 13a Non-Quota Immigrant Visa by Marriage, he has to stay here in the Philippines, preferably with an  open ticket because there is no assurance that he could be granted a 13a visa on the estimated time and he can re-book his flight.

Regards,
Maro

Maro:  i know you're responding to Lady-diver...but you also answered my question.  It's clear to me now.  Perhaps I may have another question to post but I'll see if I can research it first before posting on the expat forum.  Thanks.
FCStraight

Glad I could help, FCStraight. Now that's a responsible forum member. We come here for the experiential information and search online for technical information. Good luck on your research. I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

Thank you FCStraight and Maro for the informative response. We got married in Norway and im just back here in the Philipines to apply the family reunification. He will come here alone on Dec. The no return ticket possibility is because we we are still waiting for the aprroved result and hoping to return to Norway together.

you can buy a one way ticket manila to hong kong on the cebu pacific website departing on  december 14 for Peso 2588 about $53

You could also rent a ticket through flyonward. Search online for them, prices start at just $10. Have used them a couple of times In the past with no problem.

I am new to this method, so please bear with me.  How, when, and where...do I Rent a ticket?  How does that scheme work?   Oh yes, you said through FlyOnward.  Say, I buy my plane ticket one way from Vancouver, BC, Canada (I actually live in the U.S. but I am closer and easier for me to fly out of Vancouver instead of Seattle).  Now I have to "rent" an exit plane ticket to somewhere.   Obviously, I have to have an ongoing exit ticket to show the Philippine immigration agent at NAIA.   So far so good....I get my passport stamped with a one month tourist visa.   Meanwhile, during my one-month stay I can request an extension of my visa to the Philippines.   Right?  And what happens to the "rented" ticket I have in my possession?  Is this scheme legit?   I mean, is this "Rented" ticket valid?  What if, for whatever reason, my visa doesn't get extended....and have to leave.  Is this ticket I rented actually valid for travel to whatever country it was intended to?
Sorry...so many questions....just want to have clear understanding of what I may be against.  Thanks for clearing it up.

FCStraight wrote:

I am new to this method, so please bear with me.  How, when, and where...do I Rent a ticket?  How does that scheme work?   Oh yes, you said through FlyOnward.  Say, I buy my plane ticket one way from Vancouver, BC, Canada (I actually live in the U.S. but I am closer and easier for me to fly out of Vancouver instead of Seattle).  Now I have to "rent" an exit plane ticket to somewhere.   Obviously, I have to have an ongoing exit ticket to show the Philippine immigration agent at NAIA.   So far so good....I get my passport stamped with a one month tourist visa.   Meanwhile, during my one-month stay I can request an extension of my visa to the Philippines.   Right?  And what happens to the "rented" ticket I have in my possession?  Is this scheme legit?   I mean, is this "Rented" ticket valid?  What if, for whatever reason, my visa doesn't get extended....and have to leave.  Is this ticket I rented actually valid for travel to whatever country it was intended to?
Sorry...so many questions....just want to have clear understanding of what I may be against.  Thanks for clearing it up.

I have no personal experience using FlyOnward https://flyonward.com/en/  .  I have read on other expat sites comments from people who have. If you go their site above it explains in detail how it works. You have x amount of days and the rental simply expires.

Taken from their website:

"By booking an onward ticket, you need to provide us with your title, full name, date of your desired onward flight, and of course your departure country. The arrival country is optional; leave it blank and we'll select a random one for you (recommended).

After an order is made, our staff will process the booking with your provided information. An email with your e-ticket (a PDF file) will be sent to you immediately from the airline (not from us). You can print out this ticket. The ticket will come with a “Confirmed” status which means has been paid in full. After that, you can go to the website of the airline, select “Manage My Booking” menu, input your name and booking reference code to see details of your ticket. Sounds great, right? These tickets are the real deal.

Depending on your booking option, the ticket will last for exactly 24 hours or 48 hours, so all you need to do is make sure you're arriving at your destination within 24 hours or 48 hours of booking your onward flight with us. The ticket will be automatically canceled after that period. Contact us for a quote if you need a ticket that lasts more than 48 hours."

Hope this helps answer your question

TeeJay

Thanks TeeJay.   I'll checkout the website.   Not that I intend to do it that way....just curious at this point.

It's not so much immigration but most Airlines won't let you Board their Aircraft unless you have an onward ticket because they get fined by immigration by letting you get on the Aircraft without an onward destination within 30 days of your visa Stamp date. Of course if you wish to stay longer than 30 days you go to the closest immigration office to where your staying within your 30 Days whatever you do do not overstay or you will be fined also please note if your visa expiry date happens to be on a Friday go before then as chances are it will be closed and then you can't get into an office before the following monday and then you will pay a fine

pej1111 i fly pal a lot to australia never been asked to show return ticket yet, but most times i will have one

wanted to add a fresh comment as well... I have been in the Philippines 6+ months on a Tourist Visa (USA guy), and had obtained my ACR Card. I exited the country 12/1/16 and returned today. I was pretty sure you needed the "onward ticket" as well, and did not want to end up with trouble at the desk on the verge of a flight. I booked a PAL ticket just the other day. In case I was asked to present it, I made a screenshot of the PAL Confirmation on my phone (I had no way to print it out). The following gives some proof positive in this case that YOU NEED the onward ticket.

I appear at PAL ticketing desk this morning. Agent says, I see you have ticket to Cebu, but no ticket to leave the country (Philippines) later? I respond, Well I just booked that yesterday, doesn't it show up in your system? Nope.... not yet. Ha, so I show her the screenshot and she was 100% okie with that. I said... can you print it out for me, in case they ask at Immigration in Manila? She responds, no she can't and don't worry, they won't ask, and if they do, your phone is just fine (true I have shown guards just the confirmation on my phone before and it got me into the security queue). Arrived Manila, no questions at all about onward ticket, only advisement that I am back to square one on re-newing my visa... goodbye ACR card hehe.

So, I think the rationale, that I have seen here and elsewhere, that the airline will be the one stuck with the heavy fines if someone is deported back due to no onward ticket are a definite factor in their checking prior to issuing you ticket to board.

Bottomline, have the onward ticket.

Yes good , a couple of years ago one of the expats here forgot his onward ticket and ended up in a Cebu jail until his wife paid the fine to get him out so yes you must have an onward ticket commonly known as a throw away ticket as if you intend to stay here your not going to use it that is why you get the cheapest onward ticket to any country close to the Philippines

Sorry to interrupt but this message to lady bird: your husband can stay in Phils. for a year  or balikbayan visa exercising his right married  to a filipino citizen provided that when the time your husband enter the country you must accompanied him and show your marriage certicate to the immigration personnel.  I did this before, my husband and daughter are british citizen. Actually when they know that you are family and with a filipino spouse, they will give balikbayan visa to your spouse and child. Just be ready in case they will ask for your marriage certificate. Return ticket is unlikely to ask if you are granted balikbayan visa.

To Ethylsimpson:   Although your response was not addressed directly to me...the information you provided was very helpful to me.   I do have some questions....just to confirm or clarify what I understand about Balikbayan visa. 
  First, as I understand it, the Balikbayan visa is granted upon arrival at the airport, right?  And in my case, I present my U.S. Passport, my birth certificate showing that i was born in Manila.....and at the time of my birth, as indicated on my birth certificate, I was a Filipino citizen.   You think this will be sufficient to be granted a Balikbayan visa?   I know that the Balikbayan visa requires that one has to be a former Filipino citizen, who later resided in the U.S. and was naturaluzed as a U.S. Citizen.  But I was not naturalized!   I have no idea how I became a U.S. Citizen.   All I know was one day...my parents told me I was a U.S. Citizen....and got me a U.S Passport and told me to pack up and go to America!
   Do you think I could get away with it?   That is, simply arrive at NAIA, show my U.S. Passport, my birth certificate and request to be granted a Balikbayan visa.    My younger brother was in Manila not too long ago and that's what he did...and the official at the airport promptly gave him a Balikbayan visa.
Oh, and he told me to speak to the official in Tagalog.  That I can do.  My proficiency in Tagalog is considered native level.
   Anxiously awaiting your reply.  BTW....anyone else knowledgeable on this subject is certainly welcome to chime in.  I am grateful for all the help I can get.

Hi fcstraight,

You are qualified for balikbayan visa. As i understood with balikbayan visa is any returning former filipino citizen can claim a balikbayan visa. As you said you were filipino before and you have filipino birth certificate. Better you bring your original documents jz in case they want proof of your nationality before. Just take it easy and i am sure you will be fine. It's entirely up to you if you will buy a return ticket or my advice jz buy an open return ticket.

Thanks and regards,

Ethyl

Thank you Ethyl....very reassuring.  But only proof of  U.S. Citizenship I have is my US passport.  As I mentioned, I was not naturalized..so no naturalization documents.  Funny, even the U.S. immigration Service will not accept my U.S Passport as proof of U.S. Citizen!  But all the countries I have traveled to (12 countries) accept it as proof of US citizenship.  I do have an NSO copy of my birth certificate.  Again, thanks.

Well just follow what your brother did, you can get your balikbayan visa. Only America has funny citizenship anyone can get an american citizenship even both parents are not american, they follow jus soli it means anyone born in the territory can get the citizenship lol...actually you are still filipino under Philippine immigration. Though your parents get the american citizen but from the moment you were born if your parents not yet naturalised as american you are still filipino. So easy to get an nso just apply online and hve it deliver to USA

on wich site can i find those cheap tickets to singapore you mentioned please ?
this wood be a great help as in august next yr i wil be here 3 yrs and i wil have to leave the country and come back ,but as i am maried to a filipina we woold take a short trip to singapore urlyer and ask for balik bayan visa on return .

manny thanks in advance ,

greets Dirk