Close

How long does it take to get residence card in Malta ?

I heard that normally it takes 3 - 4 weeks but sometimes more than a month. What do you think ?

Ours only took 8 months!
But I gather that now it is usually more like 3 to 4 weeks.

Ray

Last month some friends applied the 17th and got the letter that it's ready on the 30th.

I applied shortly after I got here in Dec 2015, heard nothing for months, followed up twice and was told the second time they'd lost my application. I never bothered to reapply and when I'm asked for my ID card I give them my British passport. It's always fine.

Mine took 4weeks exactly, those of the wife and kids 2weeks. It was a very painless straight forward process too.

It took me a bit longer having been sent round in circles with duff advice.

it varies from person to person - and their specific situation but is quicker than it used to be. My friend waited over 3 months but another friend who had Maltese family it was only a matter of weeks

Submitted mine in early September and got it by the end of September - 4 weeks

Nange :

I applied shortly after I got here in Dec 2015, heard nothing for months, followed up twice and was told the second time they'd lost my application. I never bothered to reapply and when I'm asked for my ID card I give them my British passport. It's always fine.

Indeed.

Couple your valid EU passport with a document such as a work contract or former / current payslips or a rental agreement and you possess lawful proof of your residency in Malta for whatever purpose.

If you are a pensioner living in Gozo you need your residence card to get free travel on the ferry to Malta also we get asked for ours when we do banking.

Fionn :

Indeed.

Couple your valid EU passport with a document such as a work contract or former / current payslips or a rental agreement and you possess lawful proof of your residency in Malta for whatever purpose.

Won't work on the ferry if you live in Gozo. That would not be accepted.

Ray

I live in Malta so doesn't matter. I was able to get the Tallinja card here with my passport. €4 return or whatever it is for the ferry is basically free as far as I'm concerned, lol.

When you apply for Maltese ID, you get a paper, which you are supposed to use, until you receive your ID. So simply use it until you get your real ID.... would not worry much about this

F0xgl0ve :
Fionn :

Indeed.

Ray

As regards the ferry if you live in Gozo, that is indeed the case - at present.

Fionn :
F0xgl0ve :
Fionn :

Indeed.

Ray

I doubt if that will ever change, I realise that you like to keep doing a 'copy and paste' of EU law and those laws may well be correct, but this is Malta!

Ray

F0xgl0ve :
Fionn :
F0xgl0ve :

Ray

I doubt if that will ever change, I realise that you like to keep doing a 'copy and paste' of EU law and those laws may well be correct, but this is Malta!

Ray

Indeed.

Hi, I applied in October for my ID Card and it was issued within a week. Was pleasantly surprised by the quick turn-around.

i applied in beginning of october, after 2.5 weeks i got it, they even told 2-3 weeks and they were right :).

Expatriate health insurance in Malta

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malta

Moving to Malta

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malta

Travel insurance in Malta

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Malta

Flights to Malta

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Malta