British / English food shop in Bucharest?

Can anyone tell me the address of the British / English food shop in Bucharest?

I think that it is somewhere near or in the French Village, Baneasa area.

A free box of mince pies for the first person to let me have the address!!

Is it this one: https://m.facebook.com/British-Shop-of- … p;mt_nav=1       ?

I think it was a marketing ploy, cheia :D

Hi Cheia,

No I don't thinks that's the one ... someone told me that it was in the French Village ... but thanks for the info, I'll check that one out.

If I find it, I'll post it for everyone else.

I'm hoping to be able to get Christmas Crackers, Xmas Pudding and lots of other Christmas goodies.

Maykal,

As you've been in Romania for a long time and you have a food blog surely you must know the shop I'm looking for?

Let me know.

No, I don't, sorry. My blog is about Romanian food, so hasn't lead me to look for UK ingredients. And I've been out of the UK since the late 90s, so don't really crave much food-wise, except for sometimes picking up a jar of Marmite when I go there.

There was another shop online, some years back, don't know if it's still going. However, I don't think they had a bricks-and-mortar space and their prices were ridiculously marked up.

Just try Googling the shop you want. If it exists, it'll come up in a Google search.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you can get crackers in some of the large hypermarkets nearer the date, and Christmas pud, come on...have some fun an make it! You can get all the ingredients here and you're basically just throwing it into a bowl and boiling it!

Maykal wrote:

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you can get crackers in some of the large hypermarkets nearer the date, and Christmas pud, come on...have some fun an make it! You can get all the ingredients here and you're basically just throwing it into a bowl and boiling it!

I'll give it a shot re the crackers, fingers crossed and I'll check your blog for the xmas pud ingredients :)

Still not sure what you meant by your earlier reply .. "a marketing ploy":(

Bucharestred wrote:

Some business owners/employees think it's clever to post messages such as yours; attempting to draw interest for their establishment. :cool:

Considering flights to UK start out at 15 euro, I'd just book a quick out and back flight and load up a bag of neccessities

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Maybe I was being a bit cynical, but a new expat poster comes online, finds this site for expats, makes a profile, and offers a prize for anyone who can post the address of a business geared for expats... Seemed a little odd that you were internet savvy enough to do all that, but hadn't just googled the place you were looking for. But if it's not the one Cheia posted about, I'm not sure which one you're talking about.

There's a Europe-wide service that delivers to expats that you could use. You pay quite a hefty 'per delivery' fee, though, so only worth doing if you can put together an order for enough stuff to mitigate the postage costs. A better bet is just to find someone who knows a Romanian who's living/studying in the UK and see if they'll bring something back for you. Loads of Romanians will be heading back to Bucharest for Xmas.

There are some supermarkets that do British beer (Kaufland often have Spitfire, Hobgoblin and London Pride, bottled, about 8 lei/500ml) so I get a few of those in from time to time in the summer when I'm sick of lager. I also make my own Lincolnshire sausages occasionally, pretty easy with pork and natural casings so readily available. Only takes 30 mins to make about 5lbs and then just freeze them in handily-sized batches. Once you've got those, you're good to go for toad in the hole. Mega do baked beans. So toad in the hole, side of beans, and a bottle of Spitfire...all you need is to do pay some brainless oik to scream racial obscenities through the window and you could imagine you're right back in Blighty! :D:D

You could go Romanian for Xmas and try your hand at sarmale and cozonac! :D

Maykal wrote:

A better bet is just to find someone who knows a Romanian who's living/studying in the UK and see if they'll bring something back for you. Loads of Romanians will be heading back to Bucharest for Xmas.
D

+1 This is probably the best option  :top:

romaniac wrote:
Bucharestred wrote:

Some business owners/employees think it's clever to post messages such as yours; attempting to draw interest for their establishment. :cool:

Considering flights to UK start out at 15 euro, I'd just book a quick out and back flight and load up a bag of neccessities

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thank you for clarifying that ... but I don't own or have any interest in such an establishment and quite frankly anyone who believed I was "attempting to draw interest" should have just asked.

btw ... flights to UK for 15 euros? ... who with and more importantly would my Christmas Crackers be considered incendiary and confiscated at the gate? :)

Bucharestred wrote:
romaniac wrote:
Bucharestred wrote:

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thank you for clarifying that ... but I don't own or have any interest in such an establishment and quite frankly anyone who believed I was "attempting to draw interest" should have just asked.

btw ... flights to UK for 15 euros? ... who with and more importantly would my Christmas Crackers be considered incendiary and confiscated at the gate? :)

Ryanair

Maykal wrote:

Maybe I was being a bit cynical, but a new expat poster comes online, finds this site for expats, makes a profile, and offers a prize for anyone who can post the address of a business geared for expats... Seemed a little odd that you were internet savvy enough to do all that, but hadn't just googled the place you were looking for. But if it's not the one Cheia posted about, I'm not sure which one you're talking about.

There's a Europe-wide service that delivers to expats that you could use. You pay quite a hefty 'per delivery' fee, though, so only worth doing if you can put together an order for enough stuff to mitigate the postage costs. A better bet is just to find someone who knows a Romanian who's living/studying in the UK and see if they'll bring something back for you. Loads of Romanians will be heading back to Bucharest for Xmas.

There are some supermarkets that do British beer (Kaufland often have Spitfire, Hobgoblin and London Pride, bottled, about 8 lei/500ml) so I get a few of those in from time to time in the summer when I'm sick of lager. I also make my own Lincolnshire sausages occasionally, pretty easy with pork and natural casings so readily available. Only takes 30 mins to make about 5lbs and then just freeze them in handily-sized batches. Once you've got those, you're good to go for toad in the hole. Mega do baked beans. So toad in the hole, side of beans, and a bottle of Spitfire...all you need is to do pay some brainless oik to scream racial obscenities through the window and you could imagine you're right back in Blighty! :D:D

You could go Romanian for Xmas and try your hand at sarmale and cozonac! :D

Thanks for your reply ...

Internet Savvy ... wow thank you very much, never been called that before.

I did actually go down the Google route but nothing seemed to be the store I was looking for.  I also saw the store you mentioned but you were quite right ... they wanted about 26GBP to deliver, I would have to order enough for a year to justify that fee :)

No worries I'll sought something out before Christmas otherwise it will be mamaliga with smantana and branza .... :) just kidding ...

Waitrose will deliver to Bucharest .....for a price.

I would have thought that is why you left England!!!!

Thanks .. Unfortunately they want £26 for the privilege  :sosad: