Are you going to pardon the turkey?

Hi everyone,
What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Will you pardon the turkey or enjoy a feast? Staying in Puerto Rico for the holiday or heading to the states for the celebration?

Turkey is called Pavo in PR and likely will come in Frozen, so take your time defrosting it well. Take great care if you decide to fry the turkey.

I wonder, How do Vegans and Vegetarians celebrate the holiday?

Rey,

We will be making a pavochon, let's see how many of our expats friends had heard that name in the island....,,,  :cool:

lol... Well, as a mostly vegan healthy eater... I most certainly will be eating the PAVO and all the goodies as usual.  I am not that strict and occasionally eat some fish or now Turkey.  I love to cook and the smell of Thanksgiving.
Very traditional stuffing... cranberry... etc.

adlin20 wrote:

Rey,

We will be making a pavochon, let's see how many of our expats friends had heard that name in the island....,,,  :cool:

Are you stuffing a whole pig with 1 or more turkeys and cooking it as 1?
Not familiar with that word, guilty as charged.
That would make the turkey real tender as it basted by the pig sweet juices.

Other countries stuff a whole cow with goats and chickens I think.
I love goat and pigs myself, not a turkey lover but eat it because the wife likes it.

Pavo is definitely on the menu! Already planning the week of cooking that I am about to embark on!

Sounds like the Pavo is not going to survive this holiday season. One minute of silence before we do the feasting.

This Puerto Rican is having Pavo- Butterball with all the fixings. Pernil is for x-mas but I have made the "Coquito" already to have with my Pavo.  Staying here in PR for Thanksgiving. Have a great holiday season.

Tonie

Coquito any time of the year
Made with Pitorro, even better.
I still remember my fish shot of Tennessee moonshine.

Rey,

Pavochon is a turkey seasoned like a pernil.

adlin20 wrote:

Rey,
Pavochon is a turkey seasoned like a pernil.

I rather have the real pernil, even better the whole Lechon.

PR got paint in blue today!! Let's see if they stop fighting now and dedicate the effort in helping the island.

Ha Ha, We always select lousy leaders whose main interest is lining their pocket.

Unfortunately you are absolutely right. Only time will tell, I hope we are wrong thou.....

ReyP wrote:

One word, tofurkey! :)

romaniac wrote:
ReyP wrote:

One word, tofurkey! :)

I am a carnivore but I do like tofu.

We'll have turkey AND lechon on thanksgiving. Like every year we'll have a family gathering, this time not in our house but in my (step)daughter's house in the metro area.
Same bunch, same great food, gonna be a nice day!

That is the one thing I miss the most of PR besides the wonderful lack of cold weather, is the family gatherings and the lechón of course.

Have I ever told you guys that I hate winter?
I had to put up with it for 43 years and I still have 1or two more to put up with. But there is nice warm light at the end of the tunnel.

Email me a piece of lechón

Only 43 winters? I suffered through 50 in Europe before I saw the light! :D

I'll email some lechon - actually, talking about lechon, I passed by Guavate today and was tempted to leave the expreso and go get some but there was not enough time..

Lots of good music, food and Lechón in Guavate. Very popular area.

Guavate will make you fat and happy

Well for Thanksgiving, we will be having some Coquito that I made recently We are having Turkey with all the trimmings. No Lechon or Pernil here until x-mas, but will have some .  We are planning on cooking it here and having some friends and family stop by at our little Kiosko at Villa Pesquera. Hopefully, that all of you have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving.

So you will be closed and having a private friends / family party, cool!!!!

Well it looks like the turkey is not surviving the holiday.
30 seconds of silence before we dig in.

Buen provecho! But, ehm, isn't Thanksgiving tomorrow?? :D

Yea but you kill it at least a day before, specially if it comes frozen. We will dig in tomorrow

Ah OK, same here. We just took the turkey out of the oven and will take it to the oldest daughter tomorrow.
Gonna be good!

I am pardoning the turkey like we did last year, Instead we are doing a brunch. Wife likes turkey but it is too big for us and I don't care much for turkey. So big breakfast late morning and pickings the rest of the day works better for us.

Besides wife just had her 1st knee replacement operation a week ago and is still eating very light and in recovery mode. Walks around house in crutches several times a day and does exercises to get range of motion back.

I am thankful that they did not put her leg backwards during the operation  :D

ReyP wrote:

I am thankful that they did not put her leg backwards during the operation  :D

lol :D