To buy or to rent a cart

It seems that carts are the vehicles of choice for transportation (at least Ambergris Caye where I will be moving to). I heard that it is very expensive to rent. Are there any of you have bought a cart? They way I look at it is it would be better to buy in the long run. For example, I have read it costs $500 per month to rent, $6,000 for the year which most likely would be the price of a cart. Those who did buy a cart, how much did it cost?

sloputtputt wrote:

It seems that carts are the vehicles of choice for transportation (at least Ambergris Caye where I will be moving to). I heard that it is very expensive to rent. Are there any of you have bought a cart? They way I look at it is it would be better to buy in the long run. For example, I have read it costs $500 per month to rent, $6,000 for the year which most likely would be the price of a cart. Those who did buy a cart, how much did it cost?

It has been a few years since I visited AC, so I don't know if it's changed to the point this would not work. But in Placencia I find walking or riding my inexpensive bicycle with a front mounted basket and a good padlock is just fine and far less hassle than dealing with a cart 90% of the time.  The other 10% when it's farther than I want to bike or well after dark, I can call a cab for a very reasonable price.

the problem with buying a cart is they are made of steel and rust quickly near the ocean.

katzgar wrote:

the problem with buying a cart is they are made of steel and rust quickly near the ocean.

I never thought of that...I guess I have to make it rustproof.  :D

The only way to rust proof it is by an aluminum golf cart and they are doubly expensive all you need to ssn pedro is a bicycle it's a small town