Information on UAE and working there. Considering a big move!!

Hi!

My husband and I are considering moving to the UAE this summer. He is in Banking and I am an ICU Nurse. We are both well educated, he has a MSc and I will have completed the first year of my MSc when we move. There seems to be a reasonable amount of jobs to choose from at the moment for us both but I was wondering which is a nicer place to live, Abu Dhabi or Dubai? My sister has lived in Dubai for a number of years now, so I have visited Dubai a few times and have a fair idea of what it is all about. Is Abu Dhabi the same? If not what are the main differences?

I am also wondering about Nursing in Dubai/Abu Dhabi. How may hours in the working week over there? I currently work 13 hour shifts so am well used to long days and/or nights. I assume you get your set monthly wage no matter how many unsocial hours you do. Am I correct? If we get acommadation through my husband's job will I still get an accommadation allowance? Is this something I'll need to negotiate? Also what other benefits should I attempt to bargain for?

I hope someone can shed some light on these issues for me.
Thanks a million :D

Hi IrishICUNurse, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Abu Dhabi (AD) is similar to Dubai but traffic conditions can be horrific at times due to many constructions still going on by the AD Mall area. In AD, parking is a nightmare there but if you can get home by 6pm or earlier, it's not that bad. Another choice is hotel apartments which you can lease for months or a year at a time and they have free parking. Depending on where you work and what your life style is like, you can live about 20 minutes away in Mussafah which is basically a residential city with hardly any foreigners living there. But it is quiet and closer to Mafraq Hospital - assuming you may be interested in putting in for a job there while your husband can find a finance job in AD. There are only a few things to do in AD whereas Dubai offers a lot more restaurants and clubs. The drive between the 2 cities is around 1.5 hours. I've lived in AD, Dubai,and Mussafah and they are all good places for different reasons.
Well, I can't address all of the employment questions you have but hope this will give you a good starting point. If you have further question about the place, you are more than welcome to contact me personally. Someone helped me out a lot before I got here so I'm just passing the help along to other newcomers.

Good luck as I know you will enjoy this interesting country when you get here.

I considering relocating to AD with two sons (10th and 8th grade) Any suggestions on suitable place to live; apartments/residential? Thanks

Welcome on board kanphil ;)

The United Arab Emirates guide articles (Section>Accommodation) might help you; it contains some useful links & info which can assist you in finding a suitable accommodation as per your budget & needs.

Regards