Medical Records

My employer has asked us to relocate at the end on this year. This is our 6th relocation. I today asked Q&M Dental for copies of all my families dental records. The office lady indicated they cannot due to confidentiality. Every other country that we have resided in has provided us those records.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

Jer

The laws for confidentiality and privacy are weak in Singapore. Thus this must be a rule of the company you're dealing with. Ask them how to overcome it - maybe if every family member signs an indemnity declaration they'd give you the records. However, if the rule exists because they don't want to give their records to other clinics, you're probably out of luck.

Beppi,

Thanks for the response. I have engaged the management directly. Will wait to see what they say.

In my 10yrs in Singapore, I didn't have such issues. Believe it might be the policy of that individual clinic not to provide past record of a visitor. But try to approach the higher authority and complain against the lady officer who refused to provide your record. Hope the senior people in the clinic will address your issue in a better way (If possible carry your past payments of each visit to the clinic).

Thanks for your response

Hahas, beppi airways have a nice gentle approach to the matfer. I sure its not right. You can scold the crap out of the staff about this issue. There is no such things, the records belong to you and there is no way they "protect" it from you. Like what beppi said, they just dont want you to go to other clinic.

Kevin,

Thanks for the response. I have contacted Q&M directly and am now waiting for s response from them.

Regards

Jerry

Kevin Viis wrote:

Hahas, beppi airways have a nice gentle approach to the matfer. I sure its not right. You can scold the crap out of the staff about this issue. There is no such things, the records belong to you and there is no way they "protect" it from you. Like what beppi said, they just dont want you to go to other clinic.

A gentler approach often works better in Asia.
In any case, there is no way to legally force them to give the records to you, so you must find a mutual agreement.

This is the response I received today. The attachments were a joke. The policy at Q&M is a joke and for those who need to keep medical history...unacceptable. Will not recommend Q&M

Thank you very much for your feedback dated 28th October 2016. We are really grateful for it and please allow us to express our sincere apologies for your unhappy experience at our City Square Mall Dental Centre. We have since interviewed the receptionist who attended to you, Jasmine.

You requested a copy of your treatment notes but it was declined by Jasmine. Nevertheless, Jasmine offered to get Dr Felicia Tan to write you a brief report but you declined. We are in the transition process of digitizing our treatment notes. Currently, notes are handwritten and in the interests of legibility and being concise, it is our policy that the dentist prepares a report for our patients requesting a treatment summary.

This was my response

Thanks for the response but I find it quite unacceptable and irresponsible. I have lived in other parts of the world and have never heard of such policy...ever. I paid for the service..including x-rays and should be provided the x-rays and other reports regarding those PAID Fees. We had no such issues with those who have provided us medical service in Singapore in our 6 year stay. I can assure you that this will be posted within many expat sites.

Sorry, but I can see nothing wrong in the clinic's approach. They said their internal records are not suitable for external use, but they offered to prepare legible notes that you can use for your purpose. You declined that for some reason and are upset that they don't give you the original records, although they would not help you. Why?

So you failed to see the notes. They have nothing in them. The issue here is to have a full set of medical records. If one travels the globe as my family does to relocate to different parts it is essential to keep those medical records. This is a dead issue. Thanks and take Care

I still don't understand: You were offered that they prepare notes according to your requirements but you declined that, yet you grumble that they don't give you such notes. Sounds like a difficult customer to me.
Maybe next time you should clarify such requirements before you get treated?

Sounds to me that you have never travel the world...correct. It is a LAW in many counties...but again you would not know that.

Your assumption about me is wrong: I lived a total of 16 years abroad, lived in 6 countries for over a year each and visited at least 30 others, some of them for months.
However, I never bothered with medical records (or any other medical consideration). I found that worry-free happiness is the best insurance against illnesses - I don't need any other!