Fee for leaving rd

If you have been here sinc feb. a leaving nov. Is there a fee?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =3#2588533

If you mean you've stayed illegally, overstaying your visa, either you should try to remember the fine last time you overstayed your January 2015 visa, or you should revise your OP on this thread to "stayed from Jan 2015", a lot longer than you're saying.

BobK posted the complete list of fines at the time, just two posts below yours, but with a possible error in the start date of the calculation.

Yes there is a fee that you pay at the airport when you leave.  Here are the numbers that may pertain to you:
CP-PP-01-02    3 A 9 MESES    4,000.00
CP-PP-01-03    9 A 12 MESES    5,000.00

These prices are in Dominican Pesos and are per person

Bob K

Last winter I overstayed by about 2 months and they shook  me down for about 2000 pesos, I think it was; in the Catey airport.

thecolonel wrote:

Last winter I overstayed by about 2 months and they shook  me down for about 2000 pesos, I think it was; in the Catey airport.

That sounds like some sort of accusation of theft or extortion.
Perhaps, and this is just a possibility, you did something illegal and were fined.

No, they shake down everybody, not just me.

thecolonel wrote:

No, they shake down everybody, not just me.

You didn't break the law?

No, in fact I spent a lot of money there.  They should be happy about that instead of insulting me by shaking me down.

You were not shaken down, cheated, abused or anything else but were charged the overstay fee that is posted by the government.
Here is the full schedule and you will see you were charged the appropriate amount of $2500 pesos
CP-PP-01-01    31 DÍAS A 90 DÍAS    2,500.00
CP-PP-01-02    3 A 9 MESES    4,000.00
CP-PP-01-03    9 A 12 MESES    5,000.00
CP-PP-01-04    12  A 18 MESES    6,500.00
CP-PP-01-05    18 A 24 MESES    8,000.00
CP-PP-01-06    24  A 30 MESES    9,500.00
CP-PP-01-07    30 A 36 MESES    11,000.00
CP-PP-01-08    36 A 48 MESES    16,000.00
CP-PP-01-09    48 A 60 MESES    20,000.00
CP-PP-01-10    6 AÑOS    30,000.00
CP-PP-01-11    7 AÑOS    40,000.00
CP-PP-01-12    8 AÑOS    50,000.00
CP-PP-01-13    9 AÑOS    60,000.00
CP-PP-01-14    10 AÑOS    70,000.00

If you are living here and want to avoid this in the future then get your residency and stay here legally

Bob K

thecolonel wrote:

No, in fact I spent a lot of money there.  They should be happy about that instead of insulting me by shaking me down.

Overstay is illegal, and you must follow the laws of the country you chose to visit, not accusing them of crime because you were caught committing a crime.

Ah.....see what you mean, you're calling overstaying 'illegal'.  I usually think of illegal, things as say, murder, theft, rape, etc, not victimless 'crimes' like overstaying, or not having the proper size porch railing and such.    So call it what you like, but if any gov. just takes money from us in these ways, it's a shakedown and an insult after having left so much money in the country already.   They should be thanking us as we leave, like a shop-keeper when we leave a store.

Fred - this is pretty normal behavior here.  When you get to the airport you should know your overstay fine, do NOT rely on what the guy at the airport says!

They do try to SHAKE YOU DOWN for.more.  it isn't right so know the overstay fine before you head to the airport.

Thanks for corroborating that they often even try to shake us down EVEN MORE.

I have a wild idea - Don't overstay.

I know that's way odd and really weird, but it could help you avoid problems with immigration officials.

thecolonel
OK so now you know the actual fee you need to pay.  If they try to charge you more than they are "shaking you down".  This is the law and applied to all that do not have residency or citizenship here. It has noting to do with how much you spend or buy or support things here.  It has to do with actually being here illegally

So either keep  your visits to less than 30 days, or get your residency, or pay the fee, or don't bother to visit.

Bob K

That's ok, if you only want to stay 3 months, but no good if you want to stay 4.  But's there's no problem with them anyway.........as long as they get more money from us.

Bob;  Sure, I'm just reponding to some other guys' query, and told him what I paid.  Maybe it was 2500 insteat of the 2k I thought.  But it's no problem, you just factor it in.

Fred is not here in this country, not sure he has ever visited and doesn't know the history of  "fees" "taxes" etc etc here.    Cut him some slack he is trying to help.

He does bring up a valid point.   The government here is  cracking down on many things, including overstaying a visitors visa.   They have cracked down on working here illegally or they are in process of doing that.  Residencia is the answer to that issue. In many many countries you cannot just show up and stay a few months!  Set up a business for a few months!  You get my point. 

Problem with  visitors -  reality is you spend money here but don't pay many taxes. Most of the  watering holes and many restaurants don't pay proper taxes.   You pay rent where you stay and they may or may not pay taxes. 

Yes visitors bring a lot of money  to the country for which we are all grateful but we also  need to be  aware that we are guests in this country! They can impose fees and taxes as they choose and we have no say in it.

As usual.  Well said Planner

Bob K